Strong Riding Communities in AZ

Michigander here looking to relocate to the Southwest.

What areas of Arizona would be on your shortlist for a mid-50s off-road rider looking to retire in a relatively quiet but not-too rural setting?

A big plus if not too far from a good tennis scene as well.

Looking for at least a 2 acre free-standing home under $300K.

Thanks in Advance,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Vail Arizona which is just outside of tucson seems to be a popular spot to retire, there are also many parcels of land for sell ranging in various sizes some even without homes. And of course there are subdivisions. I know there a ton of riders out here. You see almost as many quads, bikes and utvs on the road as you do cars some days lol. Lots of nice desert to explore too.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks writebrain.  Will google as suggested.  Hear Prescott has a good offroad scene as well.

Prescott is colder- gets a bit of snow. Nice area if you like the cold with good riding options. Medium population.

If you want to be more part of the phoenix/metro area (on the suburban outskirts) check out Fountain Hills (tennis / golf / right next to the #1 trails) or Cave Creek area around dynamite and 144th st which is a suburban area that is on private dirt roads right off the tonto riding area. You can literally ride from your garage to the trails.

Both of these you should be able to get a 300k 2 acre house. 

• Like 2

YZee - thanks for the suggestions on Fountain Hills / Cave Creek.  Ability to ride directly to trails very appealing.

Will be in AZ beginning of March and current plan is to look N-S from Flgastaff to Tuscon and perhaps East to Las Cruces.

Any informed local opinions greatly appreciated.

Doug

YZee - thanks for the suggestions on Fountain Hills / Cave Creek.  Ability to ride directly to trails very appealing.

Will be in AZ beginning of March and current plan is to look N-S from Flgastaff to Tuscon and perhaps East to Las Cruces.

Any informed local opinions greatly appreciated.

Doug

Flagstaff used to have great single track but most was shut down about 4 years ago except a maybe 20? square mile area northwest of Flag. At that time I switched to mostly distance off road, like Flag to Phx or Flag into Utah. 2 track, but some is plenty nasty. I hear some single track may be coming back, check out the Coconino Trail Riders website.

Decent rural housing starts at maybe 250k, but you are almost certain to be near the Coconino National Forest and from there can access much of the state with very little pavement. It's also very easy to plate an off road bike here, brake light, horn, mirror and I think something I'm forgetting. Anyway, less than $100 in parts.

Mike