DRZ 434 Big Bore Kit Fail

I was looking forward to more power and useable torque. The master mechanic identified a fitment issue. Me and the mechanic made multiple calls to the reps at Cylinder Works and I sent the kit back to them for inspection. CW could not duplicate the issue but took no pictures or videos in their testing nor responded to FaceTime or video conferencing requests to view the issue firsthand. The CW recommendation was to bolt it up and the gaskets would fill the gap with no guarantee or warranty. I asked CW to request pictures from the mechanic. Finally, I took a video of the fitment issues myself (attached). At this point I'm trying to get a refund from the eBay seller Apex*racing. Disappointed.

I was looking forward to more power and useable torque. The master mechanic identified a fitment issue. Me and the mechanic made multiple calls to the reps at Cylinder Works and I sent the kit back to them for inspection. CW could not duplicate the issue but took no pictures or videos in their testing nor responded to FaceTime or video conferencing requests to view the issue firsthand. The CW recommendation was to bolt it up and the gaskets would fill the gap with no guarantee or warranty. I asked CW to request pictures from the mechanic. Finally, I took a video of the fitment issues myself (attached). At this point I'm trying to get a refund from the eBay seller Apex*racing. Disappointed.

That's a bummer.......although, that's the same place/company I got mine from and it was flawless.

What exactly was the fitment issue?

• Like 2

Not to be poking a sore point.....And I'll assume your on track here 👍 .. but , what IS the issue your claiming is wrong?

Post specs, measurements, locations, specifics of what the Mech is citing as wrong and what the company has responded with.

What is this "Fitment" issue  an unnamed person at the parent company cylinder works has told you will be fixed with gaskets?

Are you sure there is not a communication issue happening here? What the Mechanic is actually seeing? What you are hearing or understanding ? What the Supplier is hearing or really saying?

I ask, because nothing you have posted yet makes sense as far as issues and the suggested remedy... so there is some confusion someplace for sure. 

• Like 4

This does not make any sense.

Anyone who knows how a barrel is made understand the barrel is put on a lathe or cutter that cuts the entire surface of the base (gasket surface) in a series on concentric circles. Look real close at the base of a barrel and you'll see the marks, much like the grooves on a record, lines on a CD. The point of machining it like this is to ensure a perfectly flat surface. Any machining imperfects would result in the center being a little deeper (or higher) than the outside and not a difference front to back or side to side.

• Like 1

Watch the brass rivet be the issue. We need pics, with locations and measurements. Have you had it measured on a surface plate yet? Maybe the defect is the master mech? Just poking a sore spot there, cuz i cant stand most motorcycle mechs.

Its pretty hard to get confused or not be able to fix the issue on a bbk install.

Watch the brass rivet be the issue. We need pics, with locations and measurements. Have you had it measured on a surface plate yet? Maybe the defect is the master mech? Just poking a sore spot there, cuz i cant stand most motorcycle mechs.

Its pretty hard to get confused or not be able to fix the issue on a bbk install.

lol my local mech SWORE that the s,sm, and E are all IDENTICAL!! 100% the same..

i asked, "well what about the E model's higher comp, and cams, and carb"..he said "nope its the same as sm,s"

i took in a fcr39 slant to get jets before..he said it wouldnt work on a drz,,carb was too big..im basically dumb..lol i looked at him and said "this thing came off a drz E"..he crossed his arms and just nodded ..like "oh yeah"..

they said they installed 3 stroker kits this summer all with hot cams they said..

before i knew anything and before i discovered TT.. i took in my bike, said it needed valve adjustment.. they said "its fastest biike here,its perfect"

got on TT learned to do valve checks.. 3of4 were out of spec!!

they tell everperson with a drz that it needs full rebulid and it has low comp.. lol i asked him "how do you check comp, when we have auto de-comp"

he said they made up there own baseline, and got the baseline from working and comp testing other drz's

basically they burn everybody local

xcite motorsports

clearlake ca

Edited by 707LAKE
  • Like 5

lol my local mech SWORE that the s,sm, and E are all IDENTICAL!! 100% the same..

i asked, "well what about the E model's higher comp, and cams, and carb"..he said "nope its the same as sm,s"

i took in a fcr39 slant to get jets before..he said it wouldnt work on a drz,,carb was too big..im basically dumb..lol i looked at him and said "this thing came off a drz E"..he crossed his arms and just nodded ..like "oh yeah"..

they said they installed 3 stroker kits this summer all with hot cams they said..

before i knew anything and before i discovered TT.. i took in my bike, said it needed valve adjustment.. they said "its fastest biike here,its perfect"

got on TT learned to do valve checks.. 3of4 were out of spec!!

they tell everperson with a drz that it needs full rebulid and it has low comp.. lol i asked him "how do you check comp, when we have auto de-comp"

he said they made up there own baseline, and got the baseline from working and comp testing other drz's

basically they burn everybody local

xcite motorsports

clearlake ca

WOW. I learned my lesson with bringing my bike to a dealer. The DRZ is pretty easy to work on. It's best for people here to buy a manual and use the resources at their disposal (so many write ups on here). I cannot thank the members enough who have taken the time to do them. That's why I have become apart of this community because I came to this forum with a problem and I don't think things would have worked out the way they did had I not had everyone's advice, expertise, and help. So I try and help out the community as best I can. One thing I learned from my experience, you probably know your bike better then most mechanics at your local dealer!! Edited by bneikam25
  • Like 3

My CW BBK went on with no issues. Top quality, perfect fitment.

No offense, but if you sent your kit back to Cylinder Works and they couldn't replicate the issue, it's either your mechanic or your bike. They would have shipped you a new one if there really wasn't something right. 

Also, if you're looking for help on here, make sure you thoroughly describe the issue (or in your case a "fitment" issue) so that others can help you.

Unless of course you don't want help... and you just want to be angry and blame the company when it's really your mechanic. 

When things don't go well.... the easiest thing for a mechanic to do is to blame the parts. In their eyes, it's NEVER their fault. 

Edited by bneikam25
  • Like 1