Converting suspension back to MX from FMX

I'm currently rebuilding a 2006 Honda CR250R that was used for FMX, and want to rebuild the suspension back to motocross.

What is usually done to a FMX bikes suspension? i'm thinking about valve stack , springs etc?

This bike was used by a former World Champion in FMX, Ailo Gaup, so the suspension was set up professionally.

Any one that has any idea on what would have been done to a bike like this?

Where can I get info on how the valve stack was on a standard bike, or anyone that has any ideas or links to sites that describe this?

The bike when Ailo used it:

ailo.jpg

1237407168307_308.jpg

Ailo_Gaup_001_1424617a.jpg

The bike when I got it...Was a mess..

63_1217292913_xl.jpg

The bike as it sits now

IMG_1459.JPG

Edited by ove

FMX is usually set very very stiff due to the harsh landings from being so high in the air and what not.. I assume that you know what the "clickers" are on the suspension, so turn all of the clickers clock-wise to they seat LIGHTLY the lowest they can go and turn them back out  to a desired amount of clicks to how you like your suspension. *** You may be a heavier or lighter weight than the original rider, so you may need new springs with the right rebound to suite yourself..... DONT forget to set SAG 🙂 ***  Here are some videos to help you with your process... Set sag first, however... 

3.                                                  ******Be sure to remember to fine tune it at the track*******

• TT Sponsor

The FMX stuff definitely will be setup stiff by almost any tuner, more similar to a Supercross setup than a motocross setup.  Do you know the tuner who built the suspension?  Most should have the setup that they put in there and can give you the spring rates atleast.  Valving will be way different.  If you can't find the tuner to give you current spring rates installed, you can find a local dealer with a spring rate tester and have them tested to see.  For recommended rates, you can use the calculator at racetech.com and go to "Spring Rate Search" put in your info and get the recommended and stock rates.

Get spring rates correct, set sag, and ride it.  It might feel good enough for you there.  If not, there is a lot of help on valving setups on the forums here or you can look into a Gold Valve kit if you want to do it yourself.  The kit will come with a setup for you as well as tuning options.  If you order any parts and want to go through Race Tech, be sure to use the TTalk 20% discount!

Thanks

The suspension tuner that did this setup has more or less stopped working, and is not easy to get a hold of these days.

I will look into whats in there when I pull it apart, and then decide what to do.

Gold valve is an option, and if it comes with suggestions to a shim stack setup it sounds like a great option.

• TT Sponsor

Thanks

The suspension tuner that did this setup has more or less stopped working, and is not easy to get a hold of these days.

I will look into whats in there when I pull it apart, and then decide what to do.

Gold valve is an option, and if it comes with suggestions to a shim stack setup it sounds like a great option.

It comes with more than suggestions, it comes with a full setting.  If you aren't completely in love with it, it gives tuning options and is 100% guaranteed.  So if you need, you can contact Tech Support and they will walk you through anything you need and/or work with you to get a proper setup in your bike.

• Like 1