Honda CR125, Best Year and Why?

Hello Thumpertalk!

So I am new to this site and have heard its very helpful so I am coming to you for some help. So I am a beginner/novice rider my last bike was a 2009 kx250f and before that I was rippin a 2005 400ex but I prefer dirt bikes and want to try a 2stroke. I am a Honda guy but I am open to other bikes as well but prefer Honda. I am trying to figure out whats the best year for a Honda Cr125, I want something that is reliable, fun and wont necessarily break the piggybank. I want something that wont be a headache and is more simple to keep up with. So what do you got?

Hello Thumpertalk!

So I am new to this site and have heard its very helpful so I am coming to you for some help. So I am a beginner/novice rider my last bike was a 2009 kx250f and before that I was rippin a 2005 400ex but I prefer dirt bikes and want to try a 2stroke. I am a Honda guy but I am open to other bikes as well but prefer Honda. I am trying to figure out whats the best year for a Honda Cr125, I want something that is reliable, fun and wont necessarily break the piggybank. I want something that wont be a headache and is more simple to keep up with. So what do you got?

1998-99 hockey sticks!!! Don't listen to the naysayers...they don't know their arse from a hole in the ground 🙂

P5020903_zps8209a679.jpg

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

1998-99 hockey sticks!!! Don't listen to the naysayers...they don't know their arse from a hole in the ground 🙂

P5020903_zps8209a679.jpg

Your right, hockey sticks are needed to hold a cr together! Buy a yz. Lol jk I always loved the late 80's cr80's when I was a kid. Don't know what a modern one was like but the old ones were always reliable as the sun rising. For a factory bike used I will always recommend a yz125 or yz250 though. Best all around stock bikes I ever find.
  • Like 1

I had a 98, didnt like it....and I know my ass from a hole in the ground. My buddy had a similar yr yz...think a 2000-01ish...and I liked the power a lot more. Never rode any newer cr125s, so no input on those. CR, least mine, which was not an old motor since I once dropped it in a lake and had to rebuild the whole motor...just seemed too on/off. Probably a personal thing though, just remember riding it in the sand here and felt like I was murdering it to go anywhere.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF
  • Like 2

Your right, hockey sticks are needed to hold a cr together! Buy a yz. Lol jk I always loved the late 80's cr80's when I was a kid. Don't know what a modern one was like but the old ones were always reliable as the sun rising. For a factory bike used I will always recommend a yz125 or yz250 though. Best all around stock bikes I ever find.

I had a 98, didnt like it....and I know my ass from a hole in the ground. My buddy had a similar yr yz...think a 2000-01ish...and I liked the power a lot more. Never rode any newer cr125s, so no input on those. CR, least mine, which was not an old motor since I once dropped it in a lake and had to rebuild the whole motor...just seemed too on/off. Probably a personal thing though, just remember riding it in the sand here and felt like I was murdering it to go anywhere.

I am pretty sure the topic of this thread pertains to "CR"-125's. I will assure you the cr is anything but weak when tuned right. Lots of idiots out there don't know what brass is...lol. Brass you say? 🤣

In fact the cr power plant is pretty effin rank....and yeah, any 125 has an on/off switch for a throttle 👍 it's no secret a 125 has to to pinned 100% of the time to do anything 😉.

The sand is too much for ANY 125....better be thinking 450 4T or 500 2T if you're a dedicated sand rider 👍

Anyway, as for the best cr-125....If you want my honest opinion the 99's frame feels a tad rigid, but the motor is strong although not the most reliable of all the cr-125 models.....nonetheless....can't beat hockey sticks!!!

• Like 1

I am pretty sure the topic of this thread pertains to "CR"-125's. I will assure you the cr is anything but weak when tuned right. Lots of idiots out there don't know what brass is...lol. Brass you say? 🤣

In fact the cr power plant is pretty effin rank....and yeah, any 125 has an on/off switch for a throttle 👍 it's no secret a 125 has to to pinned 100% of the time to do anything 😉.

The sand is too much for ANY 125....better be thinking 450 4T or 500 2T if you're a dedicated sand rider 👍

Anyway, as for the best cr-125....If you want my honest opinion the 99's frame feels a tad rigid, but the motor is strong although not the most reliable of all the cr-125 models.....nonetheless....can't beat hockey sticks!!!

I need to respectfully disagree. Late 80's cr125's leave the best value for $ for someone wanting to dip there toes in the water. Plus with the older technology, if you get really good on an old cr, you are good on anything.

I am pretty sure the topic of this thread pertains to "CR"-125's. I will assure you the cr is anything but weak when tuned right. Lots of idiots out there don't know what brass is...lol. Brass you say?🤣

Yea i threw that in for comparison sake that I didnt like the way that bike was comparatively (not sayin buy THAT instead)...and I would bet I wasn't the only one. I mean you can say tune etc, there is only SO MUCH you could do with them lol. You may of been able to add a few parts or do this or that to help the cause, but they were not known to be superb bikes, in fact, most places you would look would say they shoulda never left the previous era haha....I know a guy with a newer CR125, he seems to like it...I never tried it. I mean I would assume he can find one cheap...if he wants to give one a shot.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF
  • Like 1

well let me just say that Im glad I waited on this bike. took it out today and started on the first kick. coming off a rmz 450 and won't miss it at all. ( well maybe some of that power ) fit feel and finish are great on this bike. fork's are awesome, best fork's I've ever felt and rear shock keep's it balanced. motor seem's to be a bit more snappy than the 05. the new frame and bike lay out make's you feel like a supercross pro the way it jump's. can't wait for the 290 !!!!! BUY IT , RIDE IT , RACE IT , but change the frt tire...........

Was there ever a bad year? Its still a &%$#@!ing Honda. It will have parts support 1,000,000 years from now.

I owned four of them '00-03' and the '01 was by far the best because of the frame geometry that year.  The '01 front end was raked out from the '00 and in '02 they came out with the newer generation of frame that in my opinion looked cool but was too quick handling.  If I remember right, starting in '02 they went with a bigger carb and different intake that killed the low end.  It was fast but very hard to ride.  If I could live with the grim suspension from those years, I'd buy another but for me a newer KTM would be the better choice.

• Like 1

Other then I had one, no reason. Strongest motor back then, decent handling and suspension. Then again I was 18 at the time and knew virtually nothing about tuning and only about riding...

That's the same as me saying the late 80's cr80's were the best because that's what I started racing on. We are probably both right and wrong for different reasons.

I think you would get bored with it after a month or so since you where riding a 400 quad... I would highly suggest a 2000 or 2001 model cr250, i had one and their supposadly one of the best year 250s made. Plus it has the alum frame.

I had an 03 cr125 an it wasnt a bad bike but i got pretty bored with it pretty fast, only kept it 2 months till i got the cr250. But my xr600r trumps them all in my opinion 🙂

• Like 1

I think you would get bored with it after a month or so since you where riding a 400 quad... I would highly suggest a 2000 or 2001 model cr250, i had one and their supposadly one of the best year 250s made. Plus it has the alum frame.

I had an 03 cr125 an it wasnt a bad bike but i got pretty bored with it pretty fast, only kept it 2 months till i got the cr250. But my xr600r trumps them all in my opinion 🙂

Yes but you believe pigs can fly? A yz250 was the best bike of any year ever made. Anyone who doesn't agree must be a ktm rider and therefore a fail and probably a bro type. Trust me, being a bro type is bad. It makes your penis shorter and hair longer with no positive gains other than an enlarged ego and appreciation for the colour orange.