Please help: water got in air box

2 days ago I was riding in a creek that got about 3 feet where I tipped bike over. Quickly picked the bike up, but it wouldn't start (honda crf230) (electric start only). After 5 minutes it started when I put the choke on and let it idle. I turned the choke on and kept riding and it stalled completely when I was riding on a trail. I turned gas off, and turned the bike on the side to drain gas out because I thought it was flooded. I turned gas on and it started, but only with the choke on. I hate to ride the bike with the choke on but to keep it running in this case I had to, to get it back to base camp. Today I cleaned air filter which was very slightly damp; I couldn't tell if water passed thru it. Any help on what to do next? Drain carburettor? How to drain carburettor? Any possible engine damage? How to avoid in future?

Thanks much.

If you got it up quick it's possible no water got into the intake. If it did you need to get it out BEFORE you try and start it. Best is to stand the bike on the rear wheel (pick the front end up or find a steep bank/hill) for a minute. Then pull the sparkplug and turn the bike upside down. That's good enough to ride back to the truck. I would change the oil after that before I rode much more. Also drain the bowl on the carb.

If you tried starting it with water in the cylinder you could bend the connecting rod or blow out a gasket.

1. Tip over in creek

2. Upright bike, remove from body of water

3. Drain exhaust(by whatever means)

4. Check and/or wring out air filter

5. Remove plug, turn bike upside down...or just kick and/or push magic button. **I generally do not turn my bike upside down** just get the water out of the cylinder

6. Put it back together, start it & ride away.

7. This process can be done by yourself, but is easier when someone with previous successful experience is with you

• Like 1

Lol i dropped my bike like 3 times in this clay pit one day thats about 3 feet in spots. Couple times it started right back up, another time it took a minute but she started. Air filter was covered in clay when i rode home to clean it. Probably got water in it but i aint got any problems so far an it been a few months so yea... I change my oil alot so im sure its fine, altho i noticed a little tiny bit of white milky stuff at the bottom of my last oil change

1419312250790.jpg