Tough Pro's circa 1915

Many here may not of heard of board track racing so thought I'd post a video. These guys were going 100mph on dangerous wooden tracks all over the country in 1915-1920, many died or were seriously injured which eventually closed the tracks down.   The race series was huge and had many venues across the country, make any modern racing look small time. Traveling between the races was as big as a challenge as the race itself sometimes, no freeways, roads were bad, cars and trucks weren't all that great.  The town I grew up in had one of these tracks till it burned down and wasn't rebuilt.

• Like 5

Thanks so much, never saw this before. My gramps raced board track in Des Moines/Omaha, worked for Swift and Company meat packing. Lived in Omaha. By todays definition, privater. Won some races both locations, one on a Pope, others on Indians. Indian was talking to him about a team position in the future when he had a bad accident, ended his racing. He spoke so much about it to me, some of the names posted brought back my memories of his stories. I was amazed with the Trophys he had won, when I was just a 5 year old kid.

He was the first generation racer in our family, followed by my father, myself, and now my 19 yr old son.

Grew up in Des Moines, he used to take me as a kid to where the old board track was located. It as a few others also Burned down as well.

Thanks again for the memories.