99 Yz144 Big End Bearing Fix

I have a 99 yz 125 fitted with an Athena 144 kit.

The thing is an absolute blast to ride (heaps more fun than my KTM 350) and the kit holds up well, but I have problems with not enough lubrication getting to the big end bearing and the crank seizing with all the plastic melted around it.

I read in Eric Gorr's book that it is a problem with the model (97 to 2000?) and that you need to bevel the plastic around the pinholes to allow more pre-mix to lubricate the area.

My question is whether a newer model YZ crank and bearing has metal instead of plastic covers and if it would fit the 99?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1998 to 2000 are supposed to have

the same cranks. Have a 98 that has

been everywhere, including Glamis,

where it was pinned wide open all the

time, and never had any problems ?

Which oil / ratio are you using ?

Using Yamalube at 32:1.

Motul 8002T also has good oil

film strength.

Can get a complete aftermarket bottom

end rebuild kit these days for under $200

A couple different manufacturer part #'s

are WPC124, and 421-4035.

Or, Yamaha rod kit part #'s

4PE-11651-02-00 ...ROD, CONNECTING 1 66.99

3JD-11681-02-00 ...PIN, CRANK 1 1 36.99

90209-22071-00 ...WASHER 2 6.31 93310-522P7-00 ...BEARING 1 36.56

I have a 99 yz 125 fitted with an Athena 144 kit.

The thing is an absolute blast to ride (heaps more fun than my KTM 350) and the kit holds up well, but I have problems with not enough lubrication getting to the big end bearing and the crank seizing with all the plastic melted around it.

I read in Eric Gorr's book that it is a problem with the model (97 to 2000?) and that you need to bevel the plastic around the pinholes to allow more pre-mix to lubricate the area.

My question is whether a newer model YZ crank and bearing has metal instead of plastic covers and if it would fit the 99?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Beveling the stuffers seems like a sound idea but no experience myself. Look into buying aftermarket metal crank stuffers which should help but don't think it will fix the lube problem.