How to tell if wheel bearings are bad

So i bought an xr600r last summer and its always had kind of a wierd feeling riding it like something was wrong with the chain or sprocket or something... It was a very slight problem and i dont notice it most the time but i continued to ride it cause i figure well it is a 20 year old bike its far from new. But anyways i have never dealt with wheel bearings before because i usually had newer bikes with fewer miles. But my rear wheel is kind of wobbly? Like its solid and spins fine but when i grab it 10 and 2 style it gives a good wiggle, but i dont have the tools neccesary to measure how far it wiggles, i notice the front doesnt wiggle as much so maybe i am right and the bearings shot.

I asked my grandpa about it and he said something like my bearing cones are shot? Hes a car mechanic an knows very little about a dirt bike so i dont know if hes confusing it with a car bearing or something.

Anyways any info on if it sounds bad which it probly is, and do i need some sort of special tools like a press or anything? Thanks guys

Edited by PigsCanFlyTooYouKnow

So i bought an xr600r last summer and its always had kind of a wierd feeling riding it like something was wrong with the chain or sprocket or something... It was a very slight problem and i dont notice it most the time but i continued to ride it cause i figure well it is a 20 year old bike its far from new. But anyways i have never dealt with wheel bearings before because i usually had newer bikes with fewer miles. But my rear wheel is kind of wobbly? Like its solid and spins fine but when i grab it 10 and 2 style it gives a good wiggle, but i dont have the tools neccesary to measure how far it wiggles, i notice the front doesnt wiggle as much so maybe i am right and the bearings shot.

I asked my grandpa about it and he said something like my bearing cones are shot? Hes a car mechanic an knows very little about a dirt bike so i dont know if hes confusing it with a car bearing or something.

Anyways any info on if it sounds bad which it probly is, and do i need some sort of special tools like a press or anything? Thanks guys

If you can feel any play they should be replaced. It should be just standard roller bearing. A bearing driver and puller would be handy but you don't need it I just use a long punch. I'm not sure about Honda but they may be held in with a snap ring just under the seal replace the seals while your at it.

You will definitely know that your bearings are bad when that "wiggle" becomes your rear wheel just locked up. :jawdrop: 2 roller bearings. And you must replace the seals.

Im used to it. Cant count how many times my yz250f motor locked up on me at high speed. God awful it was, curse them things. Edited by PigsCanFlyTooYouKnow

Alrighty then sounds like a worthy investment for 20 bucks. What special tools do i need?

A large socket will help getting the seals and bearings back in, and a punch like mentioned above.  Don't forget to lube the bearings real good before installation.

A large socket will help getting the seals and bearings back in, and a punch like mentioned above. Don't forget to lube the bearings real good before installation.

Ok thanks, but i heard something about a special tool needed to remove some sort of overengineered collar? Is that true or just not for this bike?

I guess what i really ment to ask when posting this is how can i tell if my bearings OR hub is bad? Does the hub go bad before it locks up or is it only until it locks up the hubs bad?

Edited by PigsCanFlyTooYouKnow

Ok thanks, but i heard something about a special tool needed to remove some sort of overengineered collar? Is that true or just not for this bike?

I guess what i really ment to ask when posting this is how can i tell if my bearings OR hub is bad? Does the hub go bad before it locks up or is it only until it locks up the hubs bad?

The parts blowup shows some sort of retainer on one side, not sure if you need a tool or not for it.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1

The play can be from the bearing and/or the bearing loose in the hub..you have to pull the wheel and remove the seal on the right side and also the special retainer on the left side..

yes there is a special screw in bearing retainer on the left side...here`s a link to the tool on fleabay..it also shows what the screw in retainer looks like..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motion-Pro-XR-Bearing-Retainer-Honda-XR650L-XR600R-XR500-XR350R-Tool-NEW-08-0227-/290802357769

Now.....that said,,you can stick 2 drill bits in the retainers holes and turn the retainer out with a large screwdriver set 90 degrees to the bits and forced counter clockwise.......or get a universal pin tool available at Harbourfreight..

Be aware that retainer has been "staked" in place..to prevent it from loosening...so you need to clean the face off and look for those punch marks,then use a drill just big enough and going deep enough to just remove those stake marks..then the retainer will come out without ruining the threads in the hub and retainer..

B

• Like 2

I made a retainer tool my self. Long piece of steel and 2 bolts. drilled two holes at the end and put the bolts thru with nuts.  Works well. 

As mentioned earlier, hub can be worn. Got a rear wheel off ePray and the bearing was a loose fit in the hub. :-( 
Did a quick n dirty fix with a thin feeler gauge blade... 

BTW, the correct term for the bearings are ball bearings, not roller bearings.  

• Like 1

Also check spokes for proper tension, that will cause a lot of wobble and loose feeling when riding.

When replacing bearings, I take the new ones and with a small probe, pop off one of the side seal/shields (whichever bearing you get) and pack it mostly full with a good quality waterproof grease. Don't pack them full, room is needed for free spinning and movement, about 50%-60%, full I put about a good glob from one finger tip and work it down in .Most people don't know this but bearings nowadays are usually pretty light on actual grease, even the good brands. I took 10 new SKF bearings apart and only 2 had more than a barely "wet" look from any lube in them. I always grease them now. I put the side of the bearing that I took off to the inside just in case it was damaged a little when removing, usually not if done carefully.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

I made a retainer tool my self. Long piece of steel and 2 bolts. drilled two holes at the end and put the bolts thru with nuts.  Works well. 

As mentioned earlier, hub can be worn. Got a rear wheel off ePray and the bearing was a loose fit in the hub. :-( 

Did a quick n dirty fix with a thin feeler gauge blade... 

BTW, the correct term for the bearings are ball bearings, not roller bearings.  

Yup steel bar works good, I drilled proper size for 2 compression pins or roll pins. My steel bar was a scrap piece lying around, approx 12" long x 1/4" thick & 1-1/2"wide.