PSA: Think before you drink (and drive)

I had just finished up a friendly trail slog with Rider 41 and Chezdude at WV and was offered a post-ride beer. I politely declined as I was saving up my drinking room for later that evening. Little did I know it would save my bacon by turning down the offer. 

As I was headed home on Hwy 534 (between 9 and I-5), in the 35 MPH section, I had cruise set at about 40 and as I crested a hill, the cruise got a bit aggressive with the throttle and pushed the van to 47 MPH. Just as I saw the state trooper pop out of his cruiser and wave me over.

We had a quick chat on the road side; I explained my position, he explained his, and we agreed that I would abide by his position for the remainder of my journey.

After I got home, I realized that if I had that beer, being popped for speeding would have been the least of my worries.

So, I ask that you all enjoy your beverages responsibly and keep it smart out there. I don't want to see anyone get caught up in a series of bad decisions that affects the rest of your life.

Be safe, be smart, and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

• Like 7

Agreed, but I highly doubt that one beer would have been an issue for you.

Joe

i doubt he would have been charged or taken in for anything.  unless of course, when the LEO smelled the beer wafting off of him and said LEO requested a field sobriety test, he politely declined to participate then maybe he would have been detained for a few hours to get run in for a B.A.

I was just commenting that adding alcohol to the data points will complicate the process. I don't want anyone to have to deal with any added complexity during a traffic stop, or to even have to deal with the traffic stop to begin with.

Also, I have seen way more troopers these last few days than the previous week, so staying cool on the road will build your karmic reserves for that one time you really need it. And these troopers were actively engaged in a form of revenue generation, or at least it appeared so.

See you on the trail!

• Like 3

The point is, slam a couple after a ride then some dude runs a light and is doa, blow a .08 and see what happens.

oh we all know what happens. game over man! game over!

Let it be known i'm not trying to minimize the reality of drinking and driving. quite the opposite really. even having one beer while it will not put you legally over the limit if you get pulled over with it on your breath it's a whole lot of hassle.  

I had it happen a dozen years ago where i had a few beers at lunch and got pulled over at 7 pm driving home and he could "smell" it on me and cuffed me, had the girlfriend drive the car to the next offramp where a field sobriety test was supposed to be administered.  I refused to do so and after 5 more cars showed up and the on duty "expert" talked to me they let me go.  I was sober as a judge according to the "expert", of course that's not saying much. anywho my point is that any consumption is inviting trouble whether you're convictable or not.

• Like 1

i doubt he would have been charged or taken in for anything.  unless of course, when the LEO smelled the beer wafting off of him and said LEO requested a field sobriety test, he politely declined to participate then maybe he would have been detained for a few hours to get run in for a B.A.

• Like 1

Chill out Slacker. Let's ride.

I have a personal problem with this issue.  I'm one of the people that got caught up in this crap 20yrs ago.  I got pulled over for not signaling as I turned off the freeway onto an offramp when I was in an exit only lane.  I told the cop I had just finished a beer and was on my way home....he busts out some little frikkin analyzer and tells me to blow into it, so I do.  It said .06 which I thought was BS anyway, but the guy proceeds to arrest me and charge with DUI.  I had no money for a real lawyer, and got a public offender, that told me to take the plea. Being 25 I didn't know what else to do, so I did. The way it works in WA is they never let it go....even though it happened 20yrs ago, if I was stopped tomorrow for the exact same thing, I'd be lookin at a 2nd DUI.  That's ridiculously wrong.  Justice for those that can afford it?

• Like 3

naaaah.....would never hold up in court. He could say whatever he wants but facts are facts and come out in court.

Joe

Looks like the facts helped Brett back when he was 25. The facts also "helped" my dad on an assault charge back in the 80s when he had a public defender. 

I have a personal problem with this issue.  I'm one of the people that got caught up in this crap 20yrs ago.  I got pulled over for not signaling as I turned off the freeway onto an offramp when I was in an exit only lane.  I told the cop I had just finished a beer and was on my way home....he busts out some little frikkin analyzer and tells me to blow into it, so I do.  It said .06 which I thought was BS anyway, but the guy proceeds to arrest me and charge with DUI.  I had no money for a real lawyer, and got a public offender, that told me to take the plea. Being 25 I didn't know what else to do, so I did. The way it works in WA is they never let it go....even though it happened 20yrs ago, if I was stopped tomorrow for the exact same thing, I'd be lookin at a 2nd DUI.  That's ridiculously wrong.  Justice for those that can afford it?

Yes, justice has a higher likelihood for those who can afford their own attorney.

• Like 1

I'm 25 myself and i'm also quite naive, too. I've had a few instances with law enforcement and the way I see it is that it's not lying if you never gave them the opportunity to seek the truth.

I hope you all have a safe new years eve/day.

Looks like the facts helped Brett back when he was 25. The facts also "helped" my dad on an assault charge back in the 80s when he had a public defender. 

Yes, justice has a higher likelihood for those who can afford their own attorney.

Come on......this is not hard to figure out guys. I was responding to the OP who said he skipped ONE beer and said he would have nothing to worry about if pulled over. Brett said he had "A" beer and then blew an .06....not gonnha happen unless he weighed only 30 pounds. even 3 beers for a 175 lb male would get you juuust under the .06 threshold an hour later. Plug in your variables here and see that ONE beer is no problem.

http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/#LinkURL

Joe