Used 2004 crf150f

I'm looking for a bike for my fiance to ride.  She's 5'2" and around 120lbs.  She's ridden a buddy's drz125 big wheel and the size seemed about right, at least for learning.  I'm somewhat partial to either Honda or Yamaha so I've been looking for used TTR125L or CRF150F's.  

I found a 2004 crf150f for $1000 obo.  He's the second owner and the thing is bone stock other than a lowering link on the back.  He still has the stock one should I ever want to switch.  

I don't know a lot about the crf-f line.  It looks like '04 was the second year for this bike.  Are there any areas in particular to ask about other than the usual wear and tear?  Any reason to want to get a newer model?  It looks like they changed the piston and shock starting in '06.  The bike is ~2hrs away, otherwise I probably would have went to look at it already.

Thanks guys.

I just bought myself a 2007 crf150f, upgraded from a ttr125le. The ttr was a great starter bike but the crf has just the right amount (more) of power. $1000 seems dirt cheap to me but everything is more expensive in California. I can't say much from a mechanical aspect but keep in mind 2005 and older are kick only, 2006 and up are electric only. Your girl is petite so kicking a bike all day might wear her out and discourage her from riding. Plus if she biffs out on a hill climb will she be able to kick it herself? Unlikely - at least it was for me and I'm 5'4, heavier than her, and pretty strong. I could pick it up myself, just didn't have the height to keep it steady while kicking it. Just my .002 - good luck ?

• Like 2

I just bought an '05 CRF150F for my stepson to learn on.  He is about 5'3 126 and 15 years old. I think it's the perfect bike for any beginner who is not a little kid. The power is great but very controlable. I know he'll outgrow it quickly but I paid $1000 and spent another $250 for some parts and a rear tire that needs replacing. I feel it was a fair deal. I like the '03-'05 kickstart models for the simplicity. No battery to worry about. In my case though I feel the 15 y/o boy should learn on a kickstart. More incentive to keep from stalling!

I just bought an '05 CRF150F for my stepson to learn on.  He is about 5'3 126 and 15 years old. I think it's the perfect bike for any beginner who is not a little kid. The power is great but very controlable. I know he'll outgrow it quickly but I paid $1000 and spent another $250 for some parts and a rear tire that needs replacing. I feel it was a fair deal. I like the '03-'05 kickstart models for the simplicity. No battery to worry about. In my case though I feel the 15 y/o boy should learn on a kickstart. More incentive to keep from stalling!

That's good to hear.  I'm mainly worried about the height and weight when you compare it to the ttr125l.  40lbs is quite a bit.  I agree with you on the kickstart.  Jet your bike so it starts and save the 10+lbs from the e-start.  

Thanks guys.

One other question...

How weak are the stock kick start gears? I've been reading they are known to break.

Is this only an issue with modded engines? Or will it be a problem for all kick start models eventually?

Teach him to NOT "fan" the kick starter rapidly!

Use Light pressure to find compression and then firm pressure all the way through the kickstart levers range.

Always find compression first, then follow through. You should be fine then.

It's when you start treating the kickstarted like its a jack hammer that one can run into problems....

Good luck and enjoy the bike!

• Like 2

I'm a 5'4 and 120 pounds, 18 year old girl and the ttr125l is perfect for me. I had a tall ktm85sx before hand and had a difficult time controlling it because I couldn't get my feet down. But with the 125 I can control the bike very well especially for trail riding.

• Like 1