New to XR4s

I just picked up a 1996 XR400.  It's been sitting in my garage waiting to get the title resolved.  Now that I have it plated, I've gone "bat shit' as usual on an old bike.  This is my first XR but its basically a miniature version of my DR650, and a larger version of a couple of CRF230Fs I've had.   

The bike has a old Baja Designs dual sport kit that I'm going to try salvage with some mods, and a trail tech speedo that works well.  The airbox snorkel has been removed and the stock exhaust has been modded but I can't stand the sound.  I modded the diffuser and reinserted it into the can and it lost power and sounds crappy.  In the end I sprang for a Q4 since I've had good lock with those in the past.  I've also bought a TM36 kit, high flow filter, new tires, hand guards, filters, SS brake lines, new clutch perch, chain, sprockets, mirror mounts, etc.  Yes I've gone ape-shit over the last few days but this bike will be taken out on long trips and I don't want it to fail.  I'll be doing a leak down test shortly to see if the combustion chamber holds good pressure at TDC.  I think its ok since it has plenty of resistance during kick start. 

I've already brought the valves to spec and made adjustments to the suspension to match my weight and riding style.  I cant wait to get this thing fully sorted.  There are also a few plastic pieces that I'll replace just because of dry rot.  I've have much faster 2t and 4t dirt bikes but this one has a certain (run for ever) appeal to me for trails and gnarly exploring.  I hope it lives up to its reputation.  

Any input on jetting a TM36 for sea level +600, with Q4 and no snorkel would be appreciated.  Also are there any sources for high density foam seats? I haven't found the XR4 seats listed on the usual seat maker's sites.

Any input on jetting a TM36 for sea level +600, with Q4 and no snorkel would be appreciated.

If you bought the kit new it should have 15/130 jetting in it. Should run ok, but for your configuration and elevation you may want to see what richer jetting will do for it. I'd say a 17.5 - 20 pilot and 132.5 - 135 main. Given the reports I've read of people running them at sea level, I think I'd drop in the 17.5/132.5 combo to start with.

• Like 1

The only seat that I liked is from Seat Concepts in Calif.(but dont know if they make Xr seat)

Lendon and Tony at Seat Concepts make Damn good xr seats. I've got an xr600 and xr400/xr250r seat. The xr400 seat is better than a stock xr600 seat (if you know what that is) but a bit firmer, and the xr600 seat rivals the comfort of my Harley. Not joking. Decent buy at $120-140 whatever I paid.