xr200 wont run after rebuild.

so I just got done rebuilding my 1987 xr200 top to bottom. I cranked the bike up 2 days ago and it ran awesome. Idled awesome. I set the rings, turned off the bike and let it sit and cool for abotu 30 minutes or so, came back, it cranked right up and I rode to the end of the driveway to get the mail. It sat at the end of the driveway and idled great. I got back on and started up the driveway came through third gear and it cut off on me. Just died. Seems like it had run out of gas. So I checked fuel it was good, then saw that the spark plug wire had wiggled off.

So, you would think that you put the plug wire back on and it runs. But no. I put the plug wire back on and havent been able to get it started again yet. I pulled the carb, set the float again, cleaned it again, put in new plug(spark is good) , set rotor timing gap to .012, NOTHIN. seems like it isnt getting fuel, which is crazy considering it was just running awesome. maybe I need to order a carb kit, but why would it run great for 30 or so minutes then die?

Anyone got any bright ideas? Im going crazy here, this is the second day here with 60 plus degrees and im going crazy not being able to ride.

So I think I may have solved the problem. I am missing the o-ring on this part. picture below.

Would this cause it not to run at all? or is this just one little problem? Also can you please tell me exactly where the o ring goes? I put different colored arrows where I think, let me know which color is right.

Thanks, hoping this fixes the dang thing. im beyond annoyed

image1(1).jpeg

So I think I may have solved the problem. I am missing the o-ring on this part. picture below.

Would this cause it not to run at all? or is this just one little problem? Also can you please tell me exactly where the o ring goes? I put different colored arrows where I think, let me know which color is right.

Thanks, hoping this fixes the dang thing. im beyond annoyed

the missing O-ring might make it hard to start and sustain, except when you are running at half throttle or more. Does it start/run when you pull the choke ?

the order is (outside to inside):

needle body

spring

washer

o-ring.

however, the O-ring and washer may still be in the hole on the carbuetor.

Just wondering if you replaced the valves when you rebuilt the engine?

If so maybe one if them is stuck open slightly or not seating correctly. One way to solve this problem is to pour a small amount of engine oil in the cylinder through the spark plug hole, re-install the plug and try to start it. It may take a few kicks till it fires and you may have to repeat this process several times to get it running.

I've had this problem before and no amount of kicking or push starting would get it going until I was told to use oil in the cylinder.

Anyway I hope this helps you get it running again.

• Like 1

unfortunately the o ring and washer arent in the carb, guess I will be ordering a new gasket set.

I did not replace the valves, they were clean when they were put back in there. Im getting good compression, so I dont believe that is the problem. I will try it tomorrow thougha nd let yall know if it works. I doubt it will without the o-ring though. It does not hit a single lick when I choke it.

I think what happened was when the plug wire came off the plug went bad. I checked it with an Ohms meter and it had an obvious short. I assumed it was the carb, so I took it apart and cleaned it and lost the o ring in the process.

IM hoping that just a little o ring will fix it. Wish it wasnt gonna cost me 15$ and take a week to get here, but you cant have everything I guess.

Edited by tdagner

unfortunately the o ring and washer arent in the carb, guess I will be ordering a new gasket set.

I did not replace the valves, they were clean when they were put back in there. Im getting good compression, so I dont believe that is the problem. I will try it tomorrow thougha nd let yall know if it works. I doubt it will without the o-ring though. It does not hit a single lick when I choke it.

I think what happened was when the plug wire came off the plug went bad. I checked it with an Ohms meter and it had an obvious short. I assumed it was the carb, so I took it apart and cleaned it and lost the o ring in the process.

IM hoping that just a little o ring will fix it. Wish it wasnt gonna cost me 15$ and take a week to get here, but you cant have everything I guess.

the O-ring and washer are fairly generic and many shops that work on motorcycles/quads/jetskis/snowmachines probably have some laying around. it doesn't hurt to call around.

SUCCESS!!!! I have figured it out. It was all my fault. The timing advance wasnt completely seated on the cam shaft key way/pin. It was lined up originally, but must have loosened itself when I got on it the first time. Runs like a bat out of hell now.

Thanks for all the help. I knew it had to be something simple.

• Like 1