Need a bike for an 11yr old

Does anyone have a lead on a dirt bike suitable for an 11 yr old with hardly any riding experience. I'm going to look at a kx65 later today. I'm thinking the frame might be too small and the motor too powerful. I was thinking of a xr100 but can't find one in my 700 dollar price range. Any suggestions?

Does anyone have a lead on a dirt bike suitable for an 11 yr old with hardly any riding experience. I'm going to look at a kx65 later today. I'm thinking the frame might be too small and the motor too powerful. I was thinking of a xr100 but can't find one in my 700 dollar price range. Any suggestions?

And I live in Rocklin.

when my son was 11 he graduated from a CRF 50 to a KX65.  For us  it was a big mistake,  the KX does not have a power valve like the newer 2 strokes. That little bike has a severe hit when it gets on the pipe.  I tried a bunch of tricks to tame it down for trail riding but it still scared him.  It took almost 6 months for me to get him back on a bike.  Now he has a CRF 80 and absolutely loves it.  

Also check out the KLX 110 or DRZ 110.  Great kid bikes.

• Like 4

Not knowing his inseam, weight or how adventurous he is I'd say the xr100 fits the bill just about right. 2-strokes are not so easy for a new young rider to jump on and go but the xr100 will be very forgiving while he's learning to ride a manual clutch. Also take into consideration Honda's reputation for reliability, parts availability and after market support.

Riding with the kids isn't always the most spirited of rides but it's very rewarding. Especially when he takes his helmet off on that first ride and you see that kool-aid smile. Good luck and enjoy!

Not knowing his inseam, weight or how adventurous he is I'd say the xr100 fits the bill just about right. 2-strokes are not so easy for a new young rider to jump on and go but the xr100 will be very forgiving while he's learning to ride a manual clutch. Also take into consideration Honda's reputation for reliability, parts availability and after market support.

Riding with the kids isn't always the most spirited of rides but it's very rewarding. Especially when he takes his helmet off on that first ride and you see that kool-aid smile. Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

We just picked up my 11 year old nephew a ttr125 w/estart for $900. From reading other topics like this the ttr overall seemed like a better bike for us, and more room for my nephew to grow as a rider.

Edited by rbernardi

A smaller 4 stroke 125 would be the best choice IMO, I learned on a ttr125 and then went onto an 85 and then big bikes... As far as getting a 65 for an 11 year old, I'm pretty sure they would grow out of the bike size-wise fairly quickly. We bought a YZ85 for my younger brother on his 11th birthday, coming off of a PW80. It took him a few hours of practice to get used to the power and hit of the motor. He did, however, know how to use a clutch beforehand from a TRX300 we had.

We just picked up my 11 year old nephew a ttr125 w/estart for $900. From reading other topics like this the ttr overall seemed like a better bike for us, and more room for my nephew to grow as a rider.

I did the exact same thing for my nephew around 3 months ago.   The bike was the perfect size for him,   has a clutch,  has good fuel mileage,  and a low cost of ownership.  

About the only thing it requires is gas,  an occasional oil change,  and some chain lube.

• Like 1

I started at 11 on an XR80 and jumped up to XR100 about six months later. Very forgiving bikes my 5' wife rides a XR80 now but not very often, she's a wimp! My vertically challenged 8 year old just started on a XR50 and will be moving up to a DRZ110 as soon as he's ready. Everybody begins on a Honda.

• Like 2