Do I need to carry a spark plug spanner

DRZs don't foul plugs they get changed at service intervals without problems in my experience. My question is should I carry a plug spanner out on the trail in the event that the bike gets hydro locked from dropping in water or being upside down and flooding with fuel?

Would the auto de-compressor let the liquid out when the engine is turned over?

Cheers

Stu.

I normally carry the drz tool kit that came with the bike. It has a great spark plug tool in it, so that's covered. I haven't had a problem with fouling plugs on my S. 

I think being able to pull the plug for hydrolock is the best way.

• Like 2

I lost my tool kit at a Malcom Smith invitational and haven't ridden with more than a gerber multitool knife since 09, third plug in 21k miles.

Perhaps this speaks to the drz's reliability and consistent performance......or my lazy optimistic foolishness. I dunno

Edited by BLKRAWB

DRZs don't foul plugs they get changed at service intervals without problems in my experience. My question is should I carry a plug spanner out on the trail in the event that the bike gets hydro locked from dropping in water or being upside down and flooding with fuel?

Would the auto de-compressor let the liquid out when the engine is turned over?

Cheers

Stu.

i don't think you'll ever see a fuel hydro lock, but most definitely yes for creek crossings. removing the spark plug and doing 3-4 oil changes before considering it 'safe' to ride is a good idea. i would not start my bike with a plug installed, hoping the autodecomp would save the engine. 

make sure you don't have a stick jammed in the slide/butterfly before trying to start the bike either. ;-) 

i don't think you'll ever see a fuel hydro lock, but most definitely yes for creek crossings. removing the spark plug and doing 3-4 oil changes before considering it 'safe' to ride is a good idea. i would not start my bike with a plug installed, hoping the autodecomp would save the engine.

make sure you don't have a stick jammed in the slide/butterfly before trying to start the bike either. ;-)

Ive seen fuel hydro lock a half dozen times. . Never say never