Ok, yall were totally right..

So I posted a while back about welding my shift lever onto the bike, and I was really into it, but I just don't want to risk burning the seals, and yall convinced me that cleaning the peg and locktight were the way to go.  My neighbor came over with a chisel and cleaned out some of the grooves, and I bought some locktight and a new shift lever, but the new lever has an aperture which is too big for the peg!  I bought it off of ebay, and it was supposed to be the right size for my bike, a 2002 XR250R2, but alas, it is deffo too big.  My confidence is not as high as it was, and I was hoping perhaps someone more experienced than I could provide a link to the properly fitted shifter. For the record, I have read some stories about super strong special shift levers breaking off pegs, so I really want to try for as close to the factory model as I can get.. thanks in advance for your expertise!

Edited by Sly Mongoose

Hey sly.....I found the Original Equipment shifter at babbits.com......in fact I found a lot of o.e.parts for my 93 that most dealers couldn't even locate for it...Give them a shot.....and ....if I were you I would stick with o.e. they are supposed to bend when hit to take the shock instead of the shaft.....by all means you don't want to bend or break the shaft....I did learn once the HARD and expensive way......RIDE ON!

I'm glad I read this post, I didn't know they are supposed to bend, and since I am new to riding, I am always crashing and bending my shifter, I keep thinking I'm going to brake it when I bend it back,, perhaps I need a rubber shifter

BYRDDOG, thank you so much for this link! I deffo wanted to stay with OE parts for that very reason. babbitsonline has got so much great stuff, and hondapartshouse.com will allow me to replace all the broken and worn parts on the bike.  This is a godsend, thank you so much! Some day, though it won't be soon, my bike will be just as it was before it was stolen, if not better.