2008 TTR 125LE only seeing 3 volts at the battery termial

Hi all,

I'm attempting to locate a problem. Battery kept dying in the 125LE. a fully charged battery starts up the bike no problem but it never charges wihtin the bike. well I check the voltage at the terminals at idle and 5k and I only see 3.6 volts at idle and even less (3.1v) at 5000 rpm.  I checked at the regulator/rectifier as well... same thing. I was thinking it couldn't be the stator because the bike runs fine, but then I remember that the bike has a seperate ignition circut and charging circuit. what else could I check to confirm it's the charging circuit? 

Check the continuity on the stator side? check the resistance on the stator?

T=Thanks for the help in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like something is continuing to use the battery as a main source of power... The bike makes ac power and the battery is DC. I would check to make sure all the plugs have good continuity. And when you say you rev it and it loses voltage it sounds like a spark plug type problem. Something isn't using the stator power to fire it and keeps going off the battery?

Hi all,

I'm attempting to locate a problem. Battery kept dying in the 125LE. a fully charged battery starts up the bike no problem but it never charges wihtin the bike. well I check the voltage at the terminals at idle and 5k and I only see 3.6 volts at idle and even less (3.1v) at 5000 rpm.  I checked at the regulator/rectifier as well... same thing. I was thinking it couldn't be the stator because the bike runs fine, but then I remember that the bike has a seperate ignition circut and charging circuit. what else could I check to confirm it's the charging circuit? 

Check the continuity on the stator side? check the resistance on the stator?

T=Thanks for the help in advance.

You cant check the r/r output by disconnecting the battery. All r/r must be attached to a battery to have the right output, the battery acts as filter for the r/r output. If you are reading 3 volts with battery connected then the battery is bad. Very common that people check the r/r output by disconnecting it from the battery.

You cant check the r/r output by disconnecting the battery. All r/r must be attached to a battery to have the right output, the battery acts as filter for the r/r output. If you are reading 3 volts with battery connected then the battery is bad. Very common that people check the r/r output by disconnecting it from the battery.

Thanks for the reply. Hooked the batter back up and the R/R voltage is 12.3v at idle or at 5k. service manual says it should be 14-15v at 5k rpm. Had another regulator as well and it is the same

Edited by ducatidesmo