Engine turned off, rear wheel locked up and kick starter loose

I purchased a 2 stroke 2010 ktm 150 recently. Typically when I get a used bike, I look the whole bike over and flush all the fluids. Since I was at my cousins and didn't have my fluids I verified there was enough for a ride. The gas was pretty low but was going to test my new baby out for a short period then switch to my other bike. Lesson learned..

Rode for about 30 minutes, hit a straight away, open throttle max gear, the engine shut off and rear wheel locked up. When I tried the kick starter it was real loose without much compression. I've read the same scenarios online except most of the time their kick starter is jammed / locked. I checked the gas after this and it was out. I would think if I ran out of gas, it would sputter and die. Do you think I seized the engine or ran out of gas? Should I fill her up and try to kick her on?

If the kicker feels "loose" I take from that you mean you can kick it through really easily like the engine has lost compression then you have top end trouble. I would start by pulling the exhaust pipe off and shining a flashlight up into the cylinder and see what you see, my guess is you're going to see some damage to the piston, rings, and or cylinder. It's going to need a top end at a minimum I'd bet a dollar to a donut. 

Yes and yes, from the sound of it is guess you will have damage, but that's just an educated guess.

Its amazing how it went from one kick start in freezing temps to broke. When you buy two strokes do you change the upper or take it apart to check it? Next time I'll ask when it was done and how many hours. Time to invest in a computer or hour meter

you definitely should just take spark plug out and have someone help you kick it while you put thumb over it and see how it feels... if you cant feel any pressure or suction its definitely worth a tear down....

but if bike just locks up on a WFO straight its usually never a good thing and where nothings broken....

• 3 weeks later...

Check this out. I put a new piston in it and it started first kick. I let it warmed up and took it for a light spin. Let it sit for a week or so. Since we had nice weather yesterday, I started all my bikes and took them for a spin. This started first kick and warmed up without choke. It's a low idler but stays running. Took it for a spin around the neighborhood and again it shut off on me. It wouldn't kick start for me. The only sign of life was if I held open throttle and kicked ..but no start.

Guess I'll tear it down again..check ring tolerance, kill switch wires, stator (looked fine when I put a fly wheel on) and water pump are all working properly. Anything else? I want to make this my main bike but I need it reliable.

strongly suggest you check your jetting, especially the mj.

You must rejet from summer to winter temps.

This must be your first 2T.

Yes I'm new to dirt biking and mechanic work since October. I'm learning as much as I can from manuals, YT and here. My previous post meant to say the throttle had NO response. I modified it. I'll look up about what jets to switch to but that doesn't seem like it would stale the bike mid ride and not allow it to be kicked started after unless it was clogged but I could be wrong. I know the jets are clean.

Have you checked the condition of the piston aND cylinder? All u have to do is remove the pipe. I would suggest a pipe spring puller.

Yes - The cylinder didn't have much wear on it.  I put a new piston in after it shut off on me first ride.  I need to check the ring tolerance when I break it down again.

You are suffering from an engine seizure.. Most likely from lean jetting..  A rebuild on the top end is in order..  150's are notorious for blowing up..

Yes this has happened to me a few times over the years. 

Top end was rebuilt so I need to dial in jetting.  That would stall the bike like that and not allow it to start?

Yes, I have had a brand new piston sieze before..  The rings are now stuck in the grooves and you have very little compression.    The 150 is a fun bike when it runs..  But IMO you really need a 200, 250 or a 300.  

Edited by zilla

Before you tear it down you might consider getting a cheap compression tester from Harbor Freight and do a compression test.  Kick it through several compression cycles till the gauge stops giving a higher reading.  Not sure what your pressure should be but if you get say 180 PSI or greater your topend's probably OK.  You might check the reeds if compression's OK since you can sometimes get a feeling of no compression when kicking the bike over if the reeds aren't seating fully or have damage. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/compression-test-kit-8-pc-69885.html

You have engine damage, stop and figure out what caused it before putting it back together.

I haven't broken it down again yet but before I do I'm trying to pick all your brains so I know exactly what to look at..avoiding another break down.

Yes, I have had a brand new piston sieze before..  The rings are now stuck in the grooves and you have very little compression.    The 150 is a fun bike when it runs..  But IMO you really need a 200, 250 or a 300.

I've been eyeing 300s but I figured the 150 would be good until I get a lot better in the dirt. The kick starter isn't locked as far as seized goes. The rings being stuck in grooves, what do you mean? The grooves of the piston? The cylinder barely had a scratch when I put the new piston in so I wouldn't think grooves there. I need a reliable bike and you're scaring me about the 150 lol.

Before you tear it down you might consider getting a cheap compression tester from Harbor Freight and do a compression test.  Kick it through several compression cycles till the gauge stops giving a higher reading.  Not sure what your pressure should be but if you get say 180 PSI or greater your topend's probably OK.  You might check the reeds if compression's OK since you can sometimes get a feeling of no compression when kicking the bike over if the reeds aren't seating fully or have damage. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/compression-test-kit-8-pc-69885.html

My cousin has one so I'll borrow it this weekend. It's just odd it started first kick no matter how cold and this crap. I'll check the reeds on break down.

So far my breakdown checks will be -

Reeds

Jets

Cylinder / piston ring clearance

Water pump

Electrical

Stator