Gear Selection when Jumping.

Most of my riding is trail riding however I do like to jump when I come across something fun.  The jumps that I have done have been fairly safe aka table tops with little penalty for coming up short or if there was penalty, the landing was so long you did not have to worry about over jumping.  I do not have any people I ride with that have any more experience with jumping than I do.  I have ridden with a couple of guys over the years that seemed to be very good at jumping.  Talking to them, they always seem to be in a gear lower than I am during the jump.  Recently I watched a guy hit a jump that was appox 80 feet from peak to peak and he flew probably 15 feet higher than the lip.  I overheard him tell his friend that he was in second.  I have also heard this about pro riders that these big doubles and triples they are hitting, they are hitting them in 2nd. 

I guess I have a couple o questions.  Does this translate to 2 stroke engines as they don't rev as high as 4 stroke?  Where is a good place to learn proper jumping technique? 

im not to sure about the translation of 4 stroke to 2 stroke issue you have, but my personal expierence makes me lean more towards .. no. I would have to say it would probably be wise of you to figure out your gear ratio and calculate your speed at determined rpms per gear if you wanted to compare the two. From my own personal expereince i have found that 2nd for one guy might work for him on his bike but for me might not be right. I ride an 09 rmz 450 and for me 3rd has always been my money gear or a luggy 4th for a booter.. i prefer to keep my rpms in the high mids if that makes since... i dont like to be wound out.. honestly for me the most important thing i have learned is its all about throttle control.. i hope this helps you in some way

at some level yes, because the 4 strokes have the longer rpm range and because they don't sign off as much before reaching the end of that rpm range. In my experience though, max 2ed gear gaps on 250 and 450 are pretty close to the same, it isn't until you get to third that you start seeing the 450 gain distance on the 250. Throw in other factors like gearing, how steep the face is and how much pop you get, you will be pretty hard pressed to find jumps 450s can hit in 3ed that a 250 cant. I can only think of 1 jump in the time i've been riding that's been like that. FMX guys send 75 feet in 2ed no problem, two stroke and four stoke.

I agree with you. . I havent ridden a 2 stroke 250 since 05 so im probably not much help there.. I do ride my brothers 2012 ktm 125 all the time but comparing the two ... well thats just retarded.. both of em are fun to ride just depends on what you feel like doing that day I guess.. anyway I think theres so many different styles to jumping its hard to tell ya fella whats right or wrong.. I used to try and find the same answers your lookin for but your just gonna have to put the seat time in.. bottom line

Spend the time to learn the particulars of the jump.. talk to the better guys and get a well rounded opinion of gear selection and rpms.. hit it slower for awhile to learn the attitude of the take off and when your ready just huck it.. this method hasn't done me wrong yet.. granted I just recovered from a broken collarbone from a whip gone wrong but thats neither here nor there.. hahaha

• Experts

Most of my riding is trail riding however I do like to jump when I come across something fun.  The jumps that I have done have been fairly safe aka table tops with little penalty for coming up short or if there was penalty, the landing was so long you did not have to worry about over jumping.  I do not have any people I ride with that have any more experience with jumping than I do.  I have ridden with a couple of guys over the years that seemed to be very good at jumping.  Talking to them, they always seem to be in a gear lower than I am during the jump.  Recently I watched a guy hit a jump that was appox 80 feet from peak to peak and he flew probably 15 feet higher than the lip.  I overheard him tell his friend that he was in second.  I have also heard this about pro riders that these big doubles and triples they are hitting, they are hitting them in 2nd. 

I guess I have a couple o questions.  Does this translate to 2 stroke engines as they don't rev as high as 4 stroke?  Where is a good place to learn proper jumping technique? 

The best gear to learn for jumping is somewhere in the middle of the power band (2 or 4 strokes). This way you are going to still have throttle response power. Get on the fast track by learning all the Basic Jumping Techniques with my "Motocross Basic Jumping Techniques" DVD or Stream. See a free preview before you buy. Use this special TT code and get 10% off: TTGSMXS58 

http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/dvd-6-motocross-basic-jumping-techniques

Vol 3 DVD 6 240.jpg

Thanks for the responses.  I do like to jump, however what I hit is pretty tame compared to what others do.  I started this thread  because I seemed to be hitting jumps a gear or 2 higher than the really experienced riders.  I have thought about this many times before but riding the other weekend and watching a guy hit a large gap with little room for error.  When he said he hit it in 2nd, I started thinking again that my jumping technique is wrong.  Here is a video of the guy jumping from my helmet cam. 

I was on a trail bike that day so I was not really attempting any jumps and I will most likely never hit anything half as big as that (maybe a table but with less chance of dying). 

• Like 1