First 2014 engine build and dyno tune

I will put more detail into this later but below is from stock to modded with VP 110 and then Pro 6. I was pretty happy with it since this bike already produces a good amount of HP in stock form. Keep in mind not every dyno is the same but we got almost 4 horsepower over stock with this build. It is on the conservative side but a very reliable build. All 3 runs were done with a street tire on the rear wheel.

All 3 Dyno runs.PNG

Capture.PNG

Edited by Charlie755
  • Like 4

So this build was done with cylinder head port work, milled .005 off the head, Crower billet intake cam and reground exhaust cam, and a Power Commander 5 from Dyno Jet. The Power commander has two programs loaded on it one for the VP 110 and the other for the Pro 6. The bottom end is completely stock aside from rebuilding the crank with a Pro X connecting rod that had a better tighter tolerance to the piston wrist pin on the small end. We went conservative on the fuel and ignition so we could get more power out of it but at the sacrifice of engine longevity. I had a lot of fun putting this engine together and cant wait to get more builds on the Dyno. I have built a lot of engines but hadn't dyno tuned very many of them in the past. It is amazing how much more you can dial an engine in with a Dyno as apposed to just going off a base line build. I will share more of these as I build them. Dealing with new technology, fuel injection, dyno tuning, and the characteristics of all the different types of race fuels out there is a constant learning curve and one I am really enjoying.

• Like 3

That was my goal. 🙂 I love how the stock power plays out on this bike. I am not a super fast rider but I do like to rev the bike out a bit myself and its nice to have it pull hard up through the higher RPMs. This specific build was for a fast intermediate/pro so I am waiting for the ride report from him but I am willing to bet he is going to be really happy with it. Watching it on the dyno was pretty fun. It hits hard but not so abrupt as to lose traction so I am curious how it will translate on the track.

Keep us posted Charlie

who did the regrind on the exh cam?

Dan Crower did the regrind on the exhaust cam. He does all of my cam work whether is custom regrinds or fresh billets. I work with him a lot and he is really good at delivering what I need whether its low end, high end, or broad power throughout the rpm range. Every rider is different so its nice to be able to deliver the power the way the rider needs/wants it.

• Like 1

Dan Crower did the regrind on the exhaust cam. He does all of my cam work whether is custom regrinds or fresh billets. I work with him a lot and he is really good at delivering what I need whether its low end, high end, or broad power throughout the rpm range. Every rider is different so its nice to be able to deliver the power the way the rider needs/wants it.

Would love to see some numbers of the headwork alone without the cams. 

I might end up doing that with my personal bike. The port work definitely compliments the cam's but the cams typically produce the most individual power. My initial plan has been to do the second dyno run on my bike with the Power Commander 5 by itself with no mods then add port work then cams. My bike has been on the back burner as I am busy building some other engines as well. My next dyno tune (hopefully happening this Saturday) is on a 2015 KX250F with a similar set up as this build. The Kawi is down on power compared to the YZ so I am expecting bigger gains with it.

Edited by Charlie755
  • Like 1

Phat torque curve Charlie looks great. I imagine not cheap though with custom cam and a regrind on another. 

MM 

Thanks you. 🙂 Not including my labor and the dyno tune it was around $2200.00. That was parts, crank rebuild, cams, programmer, and machine work. This bike also had about 40 hours on it so that added to the cost because of having to rebuild the crank and I also replaced the OEM water pump shaft and shift stopper with the updated parts. Normally if I can get the bike brand new not ran I can keep it around that including my labor and the dyno tune.

Edited by Charlie755