Inner Chamber Bleed

Okay, so I re-assembled my forks. I filled the inner chamber and ran the rod up and down added more. I put the fork back together. Later, I was checking around and realized that the rod should extend on its own after the compression assembly is in place. I do not think mine did this. What is the easiest way to remedy the problem and hopefully not waste oil? Can I pour the outer chamber fluid back into a container remove the inner chamber and try the process again. How long does it usually take to bleed? I am impatient and tend to have difficulty when it comes to getting items bled properly, had the same issue with a shock before. Is there any good techniques.

Jeff

You can save and reuse your oil if it's still pretty fresh. Which forks are these? I tend to really overfill my KYB inner chambers, get the comp assembly in as far as I can and maintain pressure on it while pumping the rod to purge oil until the cap barely threads in. Then do the final purge once the cap is all the way tight. It's a mess when I'm done. When properly bled, lots of KYBs extend just about an inch short of all the way out. It's ok if the rod is fairly neutral at full extension.

Edited by C-P
  • Like 1

These are SHOWA forks off an 03 CR250. I filled it with oil nearly to holes with the piston fully out. Ran it up and down a bunch of times slowly and then added more oil. How do you tell when the air is completely out other than looking for bubbles. Is it better to overfill the chamber and dump out the excess at the end?  I was using the Racetech book step by step but it was not clear that they should extend on their own. .

Procedure should be:

Run the rebound piston all the way down until it stops (fully extended)

Fill with oil till it reaches the holes at the top of the cartridge.

Run piston up and down slowly watching for bubbles. Tap on the side. Repeat until no bubbles can be seen.

Add additional oil back to holes. Run up and down till now bubbles.

Insert compression assembly. Thread into place.

Compress rod full up position, should extend back out on its own.

Dump excess oil out.

Is this correct?

Edited by JLB943

Just an update on this:

Mog, I took your advice for the side I hadn't competed yet, let it sit 10 min between bleeds and it worked perfect. Thanks again.

Took other side apart, compressed it and it sprung back to full extension. Seemed OK, so I put it back together.

Should be interesting to see how these revalved forks work. I am tearing into the shock next. I have learned my lesson and will take my time when bleeding suspension.

Edited by JLB943