IMS tank for FE501 S

Just tried to mount my 3 gal IMS tank on my new 501 and "no go".

First problem is that the bottom of the Husky tank is about twice as thick as the IMS tank where the pump and fuel line mount.  Result is that neither will tighten down and fuel would poor out of the mounting holes.  I'll attach a pic of the problem

Talked to the dealer who doesn't know anything about how to solve this at the moment and IMS is closed until the 6th, so I decided to dry fit the tank to see how it physically fits...it doesn't!  The left lobe of the IMS tank is touching the valve cover, the right side won't fit unless you desmog the bike and remove the evap canister, the center channel is too tight to go over the frame back bone.  I didn't get so far as to see if the side panels fit.

The tank looks well built but crap...this thing isn't even close. 

Original tank back on.  Don't know what's next.  I need about 3 gal min for my riding but I'm not going to settle for a crap installation.

DSCN1207 (Medium).JPG

Sounds like you need the fittings from the FC model. The FC tank is thinner and the fittings are shorter. IMS should have let you and the dealer know in advance.

I only know it because I mounted an FE tank on my FC and they were to short.

Also, what did you think about that disgusting color of the tank? It's pretty nasty. I'm wondering if the black is any better looking.

Sounds like you need the fittings from the FC model. The FC tank is thinner and the fittings are shorter. IMS should have let you and the dealer know in advance.

I only know it because I mounted an FE tank on my FC and they were to short.

Also, what did you think about that disgusting color of the tank? It's pretty nasty. I'm wondering if the black is any better looking.

Don't know about FC fitting.  They sent the tank that is specified for the FE since I verified the ID that's on the tank with the packing list and their info.  Even if the pump and fuel line would fit, there are still too many other issues with the tank physically fitting.  Can't see that they would send a tank where they would know that it wouldn't fit.  There are some other elements of the tank that makes me think that they are trying to make one tank for all the FE's and who knows what else.  If that's their strategy, they'd better rethink it.

As to color...it's not attractive at all, especially on a white bike...which I think is great looking!  To describe the color, I'd call it a diluted urine color!!  If they had black (which I don't think the have yet) for the FE, I'd go that route.  Nice thing about the opaque is that you can see the gas when it's low which obviously helps you to know what's up.  But, if you're careful about understanding your mileage on certain types of riding on a full tank, the black would be the way to go since you wouldn't need to see it.  Also, the ODO and the fuel light seem to be pretty accurate.

I'll let y'all know what they say after the get back from vacation...

• 2 weeks later...

So I had been talking with Mario at IMS about the FE tank prior to having seen your original posting, so as I said I was holding off until I say the resolution. I did send Mario a message and inquired about the points you describe, here's his response:

>>>>>>>>>>

John,

Since these tanks are just starting to be rolled out, I’m not quite sure what fitment issues it is that you are referring to. I do believe that some adjustments were made to the mold after prototyping, but am not sure what the fitment issues are that you are referring to.

It is correct that we have one tank mold that fits all the new 4-stroke Husqvarnas.

If you do decide to purchase but find that you do not like the fitment, if you return the item unused, we can give you a full refund. We usually have a 10% restocking fee, but since this is a new tank, I’m willing to waive that fee if you are unhappy with the product.

As to the coloration issue:

Before 2009, we had researched and gone with a company that offered a plastic that was very milky white and looked great. Unfortunately, we soon found that for some reason, those tanks were developing cracks in places even without much stress. We changed back to the polyethylene crosslink that we use for our pigmented tank.

At that time, the natural color came out yellowish/brown, but if you placed those tanks in the sun, they would lighten up and look much better. But then again, just recently (September I believe), the company that was providing us with the plastics changed a component in their formula, which made the flow characteristic of that tank much worse. We were getting air bubbles around the inserts and had to throw away a lot of product before it even got to our customers.

Since then, we’ve switch to another plastic manufacturer. It is the same plastic (crosslink), but it comes out looking yellowish/brown, and this one does not lighten up in the sun. It is a sacrifice we have to make to ensure the quality and longevity of our natural tanks.

For that reason, we recommend that customers purchase the pigmented tanks if they are more concerned about looks. If seeing the fuel level is more important, then it is at the expense of a nice looking tank.

I may have gone more in detail than necessary, but hope that explains it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Mario

IMS Products  

>>>>>>>>

Guess his response tells the story, they are expecting one tank to fit all the 4 strokes. They must not have done any research before marketing the products. I did send back a note for him to look up this thread and get involved in the problem or get their product/quality manager in on the problem. We'll see how that pans out.

I'm still gonna hold out and see how they support you (hopefully my holding onto my cash will encentivize them to get you fixed up).

Ill be looking elsewhere for my 350 tank, thanks for posting this, seems like they know what we want but are too focused on getting to market first but have issues we don't want and certainly don't deserve.. I know the Beta IMS tanks are really bad, they tell a different story every new model year but the tanks simply leak, spin nutplate and crack for no reason.

Edited by Mckay

"Sounds like you need the fittings from the FC model. The FC tank is thinner and the fittings are shorter"

That's got to be one of the issues. I was at my dealer today and the mechanic told me that they were alerted during factory training that the "S" model tanks are thicker and if you put any after-market tanks on you need to buy the fittings for the non-street FE or maybe the FC. It must be a DOT cert thing for abrasion or maybe fume control. I'm going to do a part search and will post.

Looks like I'll be calling Monday changing to a black tank. I hope it's the EVAP can that made the tank hit the head on your bike. I do wish Acerbis would build a new tank but I need capacity now. I've read their 3.0 EXC tank fits, but you have to run KTM shrouds and cut the front of the seat base. Also I believe Acerbis uses Urethane which might look better in natural?

J

Edited by WHTKTM

j_blankenship:

I'm actually sorry to read your post.  So, Mario hasn't heard of any of the issues that are detailed in my original post.  Well...Mario IS the guy I spoke with at IMS and to whom I detailed every one of the issues encountered with this tank.  In fact, Mario was also the guy that issued the RMA and to whom I had an additional phone call FROM  to discuss how credit will be issued since this was actually purchased by my dealer as a part of my bike purchase and dropped shipped to me.  Unless Mario isn't very bright, this transaction was only two weeks ago and he should remember it clearly!  I doubt that they have the phone ringing off the hook for FE501S tanks. 

It would seem that based upon my situation and your conversation with them that IMS (Mario) is just interested in selling tanks whether they fit or not!  Pretty dumb.

Another caveat...If FC fittings and desmogging is required to even have a chance of this tank fitting, I'd think that they should say that at some point.  Seems logical...don't you think?

As I said, while the tank is well build and apparently pretty durable, even if you can live with the urine color "opaque" tank...I would steer clear of IMS until they get this thing figured out.  And as a reminder, I didn't even get so far as to see if the shrouds fit!

Pretty disappointing:  The fit as well as how IMS is apparently going about things!

"Sounds like you need the fittings from the FC model. The FC tank is thinner and the fittings are shorter"

That's got to be one of the issues. I was at my dealer today and the mechanic told me that they were alerted during factory training that the "S" model tanks are thicker and if you put any after-market tanks on you need to buy the fittings for the non-street FE or maybe the FC. It must be a DOT cert thing for abrasion or maybe fume control. I'm going to do a part search and will post.

Looks like I'll be calling Monday changing to a black tank. I hope it's the EVAP can that made the tank hit the head on your bike. I do wish Acerbis would build a new tank but I need capacity now. I've read their 3.0 EXC tank fits, but you have to run KTM shrouds and cut the front of the seat base. Also I believe Acerbis uses Urethane which might look better in natural?

J

Good move on changing to black and good luck with the fit.  The Evap can wasn't all of the problem because I removed it during the dry fit.  It still hit the can bracket and by that time I gave up since it hit the valve cover and wouldn't fit over the backbone.  If you're doing this on a 501S, you're wasting your time unless you're willing to make a bunch of changes and probably removed the backbone pad.

Baritone,

THANKS for posting this and saving others a lot of trouble until IMS or Acerbis (or others) gets this worked out.  I bought a 501S yesterday and was thinking of an IMS or Acerbis tank. 

I'm gonna wait until one of these manufacturers gets something designed and engineered to fit and function on the bike properly.  Show them this post along with others, to let them know "we are going to wait" until someone comes out with a proper tank for it. 

Appreciate your follow-ups on this too.  Good luck.  

Looks like the shorter fuel pump fittings are only on the FC450. Both the FE501 and the FE501S have the same part number (thicker tank?).

Here are the FC450 (2015) part numbers which differ and should be shorter. Also I checked and Acerbis appears to include short KTM fittings:

78107088014 NUT F. FUEL PUMP M12

78107088017 FUEL CONNECTOR M8

One could probably substitute the right angle KTM hard parts/ Husky Power Parts fitting for the M8 fuel connector and it might be a cleaner solution.

The EVAP can and bracket aren't an issue for me but I don't like the idea of removing a frame pad (and on a thinner tank at that). Do you think the EVAP can mounting bracket was causing the tank to tilt and hit the head? Or would it contact the 501 cylinder head in any event?

I'm really getting thoughts about canceling my IMS order, but I hate the idea of modifying my seat and running KTM shrouds to use an Acerbis 3 gallon tank. I certainly don't like the way things are looking with IMS quality and support from what I've read here. I wish they would give some satisfactory answers.

Has anyone inquired with Acerbis to see if they are developing tanks for the new Huskys? If I knew they were coming I would wait. It seems like a no-brainer since they already have the KTM tank and it fits the engine and frame already. They would need to revise the seat junction slightly, the shroud mounts, side contour and maybe add capacity where the current tank has clearance for the PDS shock access.

J

The EVAP can and bracket aren't an issue for me but I don't like the idea of removing a frame pad (and on a thinner tank at that). Do you think the EVAP can mounting bracket was causing the tank to tilt and hit the head? Or would it contact the 501 cylinder head in any event?

J

No, the bracket stopped the tank from going any lower on the back end(seat side) of the tank and would have to be removed for the tank to work so it's not just the canister.  However, the front end (triple tree side) of the tank was not impeded by the bracket...but still wouldn't go down over the backbone.  In addition to the channel of the tank being to narrow...the tank was also hitting the valve cover (left side) well before it even got to the widest point of the cover.  So, at least for the tank that they sent me, it just won't fit and is wrong in virtually all areas.

There were a couple of blatant clues that the tank they sent me was for other bikes as well.  Two that I recall were that the front of the channel was notched on each side to accept mounting hardware that would be fixed to the side of the frame backbone and the second was that there were two embedded bolts that were to the rear of the full line and fuel pump ports.  This last one would appear to be for the mounting of a gas cock but evidently a hole would have to be drilled to accept it.  Mario never explained what that was all about.

I appreciate all the comments about what parts need to be purchased to make this tank work but my point is, IMS as never mentioned or provided any instructions or commentary on their website or in the mounting instructions for the tank about any additional "hoops" that would need to be jumped through in order to make this tank work.  This is classic caveat emptor.  What doesn't make sense to me is why IMS would sell tanks in this manner without offering all the necessary detail (and necessary parts) and knowing that they will either get the tank returned or have a pissed off customer.  Pretty dumb...at least to me.

One thing I need to say in fairness to IMS and Mario, when I detailed the problems (which he has evidently since forgotten), he made note of them and without hesitation agreed to take the tank back and credit my dealer (who was the actual purchaser) and pay for the return shipping.  I've asked them to also refund the shipping TO the dealer also since this tank is such an abortion for my bike.  We'll see how all the crediting goes but it'll be a while since the dealer bought the tank on a credit card.

I took a look at the stock tank and it's really close to the cylinder head so maybe it's a tolerance issue but I don't get why the tank would have mounting provisions for gromets at the front and a petcock on the side unless it started as a two stroke tank? I will post how it goes since I'm going to go with the black version of the 501S tank (fingers crossed that maybe they sent you a two stroke tank by mistake).

One last tidbit. I noticed on the IMS site the KTM 500 EXC tank has notes stating you need the same parts I listed and that the tank won't fit with emission equipment. I'm surprised that IMS could design a tank and not convey to sales that the FE 350 and FE 501 bikes are in fact KTMs with KTM/Husaberg plastics and subframe and SX linkage.

I appreciate your taking the time to share details,

J

Thanks to all who are following and bringing up these issues.

I want to apologize to Baritone for the issues you had with the tank. Sorry that I was not able to address your issues at an earlier time when I issued the RMA.

As I recall, a major concern for you was the fuel pump fitment issue listed above. At the time, I wasn't aware that the street legal Husky tanks came with the thicker tank. I checked with R&D, and it turns out that when we were designing this tank, the street legal Husky bikes hadn't been announced yet. Something should have clicked in my head when we spoke that this was the same issue with some of our KTM tanks. On our website, we do list the KTM parts needed for fitment, like we do here:

KTM 450 SX-F

As to the smogging issue, I also should have noted the same warning that appears on the above link. Also, all the instruction sheets for our tanks come with the following warning as well:

“FOR COMPETITION USE ONLY”
“Legal in California ONLY for racing vehicles
which may never be used upon a highway.”

As I was referred to this post, I also checked with R&D for one more issue, which is the fitment of the center mount on these new tanks. This makes it so that the "center channel is too tight to go over the frame back bone," as Baritone noted above.

Ordinarily, if you press down hard on the tank, it should pop in, but at least this first run of tanks, it may require that you clean out the hole (a file or drill may work) to make it easier to fit. However, we have contacted our production facility to make sure that this is fixed in the future and will try to ensure that the ones we do have in stock are cleaned out here first.

KTM tanks in general (even stock) are usually quite snug, and our tanks tend to be even more so (it's bound to happen with an oversize tank). But as far as we know, there are no other fitment issues that aren't addressed here.

As to the issue listed by Baritone about the "left lobe of the IMS tank... touching the valve cover," we would need a little bit more detail about that one. I am not sure if it was caused because the tank wasn't sitting down properly (because of the center mount issue), or if it is something else.

And lastly, fitment with the shrouds shouldn't be a problem.

One more thing that I should make clear is that the tank mold is the same for the 2-stroke and 4-stroke bikes. That means that on the bottom of the 4-stroke tanks, you will have the channels to accept mounting hardware, but you will also see 2 inserts further back. Those are for the 2-stroke bikes, but are unused if you have the 4-stroke bikes.

I will get the website updated to include the same warning listed on the KTM tank about the pump nut and connector, as well as an indication that it will not fit with California emissions hardware.

If anyone has any other specific questions, do not hesitate to contact us at info@imsproducts.com.