GS500 wheel swap done, but the wheels don't spin freely

Finally got some time off for Christmas and finished the front rotor bracket. Excitedly I put the wheels on the bike, but after tightening the axle bolts, i discovered that the wheels do not spin freely. The do spin, but it takes a lot more effort to spin them when compared to the stock wheels. The front and rear wheels are both hard to spin. Is this normal with the hooligan mod? Any thoughts on what could be causing this? 

IMG_0262.JPG

• Like 2

If you loosen the axle nuts does it spin freely?  I would suspect a clearance issue with the axle spacers.  Did the spacers between the bearings fit properly?  Are they the stock spacers inside the wheels or did you have to make them?  If the bearings are bound up, you will burn them up and possibly have other problems too...

You need to recheck everything to be sure.  Good luck.

• Like 1

If you loosen the axle nuts does it spin freely?  I would suspect a clearance issue with the axle spacers.  Did the spacers between the bearings fit properly?  Are they the stock spacers inside the wheels or did you have to make them?  If the bearings are bound up, you will burn them up and possibly have other problems too...

You need to recheck everything to be sure.  Good luck.

what he said. 

push the pads into the calipers or pull the calipers off completely, then try again. if the wheels aren't free, it's definitely a spacer, bearing, or both issue. never ride a bike that doesn't have free spinning wheels. friction = heat, and heat turns good times into hospital visits in a hurry. 

if your wheels spin freely with the calipers removed, mark up the rotors with a sharpie and install the calipers, spin the wheels, then look for contact. 

if you're missing the internal hub spacer (between the bearings and/or the cush drive) on either the front or rear wheel, the bearings will be dead in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1