Perfect place to build a private MX track

A few miles towards town from where I live is a 24 acre piece of property that is for sale.  There is a barn and an old mobile home, otherwise its vacant land with some hills and best of all, the Aztec irrigation ditch runs right next to it.  My sons and I have been looking for property with water to be able to build our own track, this is perfect.  $265k, its in the city limits, right at the boundary actually across the highway from the middle school.  There are no neighbors right next to it, there is a trailer park to the south and of course the middle school.  I'm going to have to investigate the possibility, this could be interesting. :D   Its that parcel right inside the 90degree bend in the road.  My only concern is what the city would think.  Anyone ever done something like this inside a small city limits?

l81c70245-m2o.jpg

• Like 1

Looks interesting, but I gotta tell you that more motocross tracks fail than those that succeed.. $265k is a huge investment, but it barely scratches the surface of what you can expect the track to cost: facilities, stands, a dozer for the track itself, dirt, clearing the land, etc.

Not trying to dissuade you in any way, and you can start off small and build from there of course. 

Looks interesting, but I gotta tell you that more motocross tracks fail than those that succeed.. $265k is a huge investment, but it barely scratches the surface of what you can expect the track to cost: facilities, stands, a dozer for the track itself, dirt, clearing the land, etc.

Not trying to dissuade you in any way, and you can start off small and build from there of course. 

I'm talking a private play track to practice on, just for family and a few friends.  No facilities needed. 😉

• Like 1

A few miles towards town from where I live is a 24 acre piece of property that is for sale.  There is a barn and an old mobile home, otherwise its vacant land with some hills and best of all, the Aztec irrigation ditch runs right next to it.  My sons and I have been looking for property with water to be able to build our own track, this is perfect.  $265k, its in the city limits, right at the boundary actually across the highway from the middle school.  There are no neighbors right next to it, there is a trailer park to the south and of course the middle school.  I'm going to have to investigate the possibility, this could be interesting. :D   Its that parcel right inside the 90degree bend in the road.  My only concern is what the city would think.  Anyone ever done something like this inside a small city limits?

l81c70245-m2o.jpg

CJ,

What part of NM are you located in.?

I'm in El Paso, TX and I'm currently building my own private practice track on 70 acres.. 

PM me and I can share the issues I've been through with the City and County zoning folks.

It's not hard to do, but you will need patients and should remain persistent.

Good luck.

JL

CJ,

What part of NM are you located in.?

I'm in El Paso, TX and I'm currently building my own private practice track on 70 acres.. 

PM me and I can share the issues I've been through with the City and County zoning folks.

It's not hard to do, but you will need patients and should remain persistent.

Good luck.

JL

I'm in NW NM just outside Aztec, not far from the CO state line.  And thanks, I will definitely contact you if we move forward on this.

Your biggest hangups are gonna be city regs and zoning. That school is probably gonna cause you issues though they have a lot of pull(noise complaints, distractions, uptight teachers) so before you dump 300k into something you won't be able to use read up and talk to someone in code enforcement. The further away from town you get the better you will end up.

There's been a couple of good threads on guys planning their own track, whether it be for personal use OR as a business.  There were a lot of issues I hadn't thought of until guys started mentioning them.  See if you can find those threads.   I agree that noise would probably be the biggest issue.  

Your biggest hangups are gonna be city regs and zoning. That school is probably gonna cause you issues though they have a lot of pull(noise complaints, distractions, uptight teachers) so before you dump 300k into something you won't be able to use read up and talk to someone in code enforcement. The further away from town you get the better you will end up.

Yep, I see the school as the biggest problem.  The reason we are considering this piece of property is the access to water for grooming the track.  The irrigation ditch which comes from the river less than a mile away runs right into the property.  It would be nice to not have to set up a water tank or get a water truck.  There is cheaper land out in the hills, but no water.

There also looks to be a residential street just south of the school.

Noise and dust will be issues.

Look for a piece of land as far away from town as possible,

would be a shame to invest so much time and effort only to

have complaints and by-laws shut it down.

quote:

There is cheaper land out in the hills, but no water.

You could dig a pond, also ask around if any local hunters familiar

with the area know of any springs would could run a pipe from.

To me, naturaly 'hilly' terrain is a much nicer track building foundation than 'flat' land with man made jumps.

Edited by mlatour

From Google Earth, I see a neighbor not too far away to the S.E..  In that same direction and more south is a whole neighborhood.  

cj, I REALLY like the idea but I see problems with this site.  Actually, for a while, I wanted to buy some property for this and just a recreational thing and NM was my choice of states.

How much cheaper? Offset the price of an old water truck or just a tank and pump?

Like the post before me(on my phone so quoting sucks) digging a pond would be a great source. It's also a great way to get dirt for the track. You'd also likely need to get a permit for the pond cause you know big brother owns all water.

Further out of town usually offers other things like the ability to grow, maybe into a practice track and eventually hosting some local races. It would also leave more money open for equipment and fuel to maintain whatever you do(unless your in the earth moving business already). Also less likely people will complain.

Out in the hills does look better taking all things into account.  I drive past this property every day, so it is something that has caught my eye.  All things considered, though, the hassles may kill the benefits.  I have a realtor keeping an eye out for something more remote, problem is the land around me is mostly BLM, not private.

• Like 1

How about a farm where there is already an irrigation system installed,

you could continue to operate the farming but at a smaller scale right next to the track

(or lease it out to another farmer) 

having the water nozzles cover both track and crops when spraying.

And use the farming income to fund track maintenance costs.

Edited by mlatour

Farmland around here is PRICEY.  That's because there isn't much of it, you get very far from the rivers and it is too costly to farm, so land out in the hills can be relatively cheap.  This piece of property is actually priced way under local value, that's the reason I was considering it.

cj, is the land out in the hills cheap enough that you could have a well drilled and get some old tank truck and still not have too much money into it? 

Wells are pretty deep once you get away from the river.  Getting a truck would be a better option, I know a place I can get river water with no hassle.

I can tell you from having a private track way out in the middle of no where, somebody will complain. Had the cops show up to our track twice this year because a neighbor called the cops, cop came and said there was nothing he could do he just had to respond. So being by a school would be a big concern to me. But it does look like an awesome spot.