E converted to SM no thermostat?

I have an 02 E with radiators configured the way pic shows. Wanted to switch to silicone hoses but the kit that came was the wrong one. I most likely will keep it piped this way but noticed I don't have a thermostat currently. I live in Michigan and Temps go from 0-100° and I ride through most of that range. Should I install a thermostat? Is lack of the thermostat why the bike feels strongest after a few miles on the express way?

1420072970387477720125.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just ordered a thermostat for my '03 E.  I haven't been able to confirm, but I'm hoping it's a bolt-in mod.  N

o stat means that my bike's coolant runs around 110-120F when it's chilly outside.  The bike is cold blooded as-is, so cold running doesn't help, and it's not good for burning contaminants off of the oil, either.

• Like 1

It is a simple mod. Unbolt the t stat cover, pull the o-ring, drop in the t-stat, bolt it up. I replaced the bolts with Allen head bolts to speed change out. My E seems to be much more happy with the t-stat but gets hot fast without a fan. The S fan won't work on the e, so take a look at a computer fan or two.

I had it apart and looked it over really good but didn't put one in. I have the silicone hoses for the S/SM radiator config and was thinking about switching to that setup but would need that style thermostat housing (different than mine). I was considering doing that because all the coolant flows through one radiator then transfers to the other for more cooling, my E has a bridge at the top and bottom of the radiators making it function as one large radiator as opposed to 2 stage cooling effect (how I picture it) all of the coolant only flow through one of the radiators during its cycle outside the engine. I'm assuming my style is more focused on getting the water out of the engine and back in as quick as posible where the other way is more focused on getting the coolant as cold as posible before it go's back in. Having my set up(I am assuming you have the same) if i put in a thermostat should i take it out during the summer months or would adding the fans be enough? You say it is happier with the thermostat but gets hot, what kind of climate are you riding in and does it over heat? You mention fans, do you run the fans too? Where I am in michigan I usually won't ride unless it's 32° or higher but it can get up over 100°. Is a fan a must in the upper end of that spectrum or take out thermostat or better to just switch to the other config? Thank you for your help

At one time I bought an "s" water neck thinking It was required to run a thermostat but it is not needed. The t-stat and sealing ring drop right into your engine with no problem. As to heats up fast, in 55 deg temps, going light to light in moderate traffic it only takes about10 minutes to get hot without a fan. The configuration of the cooling system allows for max cooling at low speeds but will still get hot on slow technical trails or traffic. One fan should be enough and you will end up using it often and it's much easier to flip a switch than take the t-stat in and out every season.

As to riding climate- I am in western Oregon and ride anywhere from the damp rainy Pacific Ocean to the high and dry snake river in Idaho. The one common factor is air thru the radiators. We ended up in deep snow following old wagon roads and it still got hot due to low speeds and no fan.