Poor running after heavy flywheel install

Installed a Trailtech +9 oz flywheel for a CRF450r on my  07  250r. It fit well, with just a bit of minor trim on the cover. It started up and ran great for just over a minute, then like light switch, started to buck and fart. I shut it off looking around for problems, then a few minutes later fired it right back up again, and again it ran great, accelerating well for just over a minute, then started crapping out again, third time , same thing.

So i took it apart again and no visible signs of any rubbing, so i put back on my stock flywheel and it continues to run fine now. WTF Any one hear of this, or have ideas what it could be?

Have shot an e-mail off to Trailtech but haven't heard from them yet.

I went stealthy on my 05 r but.......

You didn't mention what year the 450r was...

http://www.trailtech.net/stators-flywheels

When I look at the above, is it possible that the 450 weight (year & size) may not be correct for 250.

FYI - I'm pretty sure you should NOT have to make modifications to the cover on the 250 to have the weight fit. At stealthys site for the 517 (specific for year, make and weight size) you have to mod the 450 case not the 250.

I don't know if this helps you to confirm..

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/honda-flywheels.html

Ya - You got to drain the oil etc everything you change the weight so you don't want to do this more than once - I feel your pain.

Good luck

Thanks filter, I haven't heard yet from Trailtech and the box that the flywheel came in just had CRF450r  02-03 on it, probably old stock. But on the Trailtech site, the +15 oz for my bike, also says it fits others including that 02-03 450, as a +9 oz.

I did notice on the Stealthy site the 02-03 450 was a stand alone part, must be some differences there. But the magnets for the crank sensor look in the same position and its strange that it would start right up and run so good for just over a min. before crapping out. I'll have to see what Trailtech says.

Hope you where out riding yesterday, what a fantastic day. Great to ride this time of year and not be covered in mud, with the frozen ground and all. I went up the side of Blue mountain in Mapleridge for the first time, really could of used that flywheel up there. Nasty steep, tough trails.  I was doing ok till I got tired, then started stalling the bike, a Recluse would be nice also, but I think i'll be working on my conditioning this winter before i'll be able to keep with you. hahaha.

I got an answer from Brian at Trailtech, he said that flywheel has stronger magnets in it and is ment for use with their more powerfull stator. So I'm looking into getting their stator, rectifier, battery kit, so I could have a little accessory power, possibly keep my pinkys warm with some heated grips. Ya I'm getting OLD.

Edited by bucket list

I was thinking that the magnets might have been slightly off but I know trail tech has awesome support and would get back to you with an answer.

Man I got my last Squamish ride in on 12/24. Trials were friggin awesome. We got about 1/2meter of snow on sunday and its now been freezing rain and melting since last nite. It's a MESS.

I was thinking that the magnets might have been slightly off but I know trail tech has awesome support and would get back to you with an answer.

Man I got my last Squamish ride in on 12/24. Trials were friggin awesome. We got about 1/2meter of snow on sunday and its now been freezing rain and melting since last nite. It's a MESS.

Yuk!  The joys of living in a rain forest. Don't see any frezzing weather for this month, so going to be a mess for a while.

I thought you were looking for a newer bike?  You giving up on the Honda?

ooops, sorry , just read your other post.

Edited by bucket list

• 1 month later...

Just an update on my poor running 250r , which wouldn't start at all after trying that heavy flywheel a few times. The extra current from those stronger magnets must have damaged the ICM, because i found a new one on e-bay, plugged it in and its been working good.

• Like 1

Just an update on my poor running 250r , which wouldn't start at all after trying that heavy flywheel a few times. The extra current from those stronger magnets must have damaged the ICM, because i found a new one on e-bay, plugged it in and its been working good.

Are you back using the stock flywheel? I'm thinking about doing this mod.

If your talking about adding a heavier flywheel, which IMO is AWESOME, just make sure you get the correct one for year/make. I'd look at stealthy first but check trail tech.

For my 05 it was just the weight, gasket and puller and about 1 hour of time.

Edited by filterx

Was the $$$ reasonable for the ICM?

Ya, the stock flywheel back on. The problem was i got give'n that flywheel, it was for a 450, which some of them cross over, but i found out that particular flywheel had stronger magnets meant for a lighting stator, so that screwed my ICM. Like fiterX says, as long as it's the right aplication you should be good. I learned my lesson.

Filterx loves his heavy flywheel , but i may just save up a bit more and put in a Rekluse EXP. I've already got a 12 tooth front sprocket so it lugs down pretty low in the slow stuff.

Oh ya, got the ICM for $43. canadian from Cannibal cycle out of Utah i think. They have lots of used CRF stuff.

Edited by bucket list
  • Like 1