AG bikes

Just curious if anyone knows if you can register an AG bike for on-road use.

I'm a big fan of the old air cooled engines, and they seem to have all the blinkers and lights.

I'm in Australia, information is limited. But thought I would ask.

Cheers

If it has a compliance plate then yes, you can get a full road registration (as opposed to recreational or conditional). If it is a bike with no compliance plate then you can't simply throw all the road gear onto it and expect to register it. 

I'm pretty sure these types of bikes generally have a compliance plate, I knew someone who made the mistake of having an ag model as their learner bike. She did her practical test on it and ended up with a license that did not permit her to ride bikes with fully manual gears. 

They generally have a 200cc engine, large tank, rack on the back, drum brakes, steel frame and sometimes an auto clutch or a manual clutch with a clutch lock. So they are very purpose-built. 

Personally I'd go for a TTR250 or CRF230 for an air-cooled trail bike, unless you were actually chasing an ultra low budget adventure bike, which is something an ag bike might be better for. 

Edited by stinkwheels
  • Like 1

Just curious if anyone knows if you can register an AG bike for on-road use.

I'm a big fan of the old air cooled engines, and they seem to have all the blinkers and lights.

I'm in Australia, information is limited. But thought I would ask.

Cheers

I live in Victoria Australia too and yes they can be registered, I don't know about all states but in VIC we need a RWC as well for full reg,

If you buy new I'm pretty sure by law the can't charge you a fee for RWC if you buy with reg.

• Like 1

If it has a compliance plate then yes, you can get a full road registration (as opposed to recreational or conditional). If it is a bike with no compliance plate then you can't simply throw all the road gear onto it and expect to register it. 

I'm pretty sure these types of bikes generally have a compliance plate, I knew someone who made the mistake of having an ag model as their learner bike. She did her practical test on it and ended up with a license that did not permit her to ride bikes with fully manual gears. 

They generally have a 200cc engine, large tank, rack on the back, drum brakes, steel frame and sometimes an auto clutch or a manual clutch with a clutch lock. So they are very purpose-built. 

Personally I'd go for a TTR250 or CRF230 for an air-cooled trail bike, unless you were actually chasing an ultra low budget adventure bike, which is something an ag bike might be better for. 

I do rate the  CRF230, but I cant seem to find many with headlights/blinkers on the cheap. thats why the AG bike caught my eye. Just a cheap thing for small town use. Kind of like the old XR's. 

Thing for me is if its under 225cc its insanely cheap to register. 

Is the compliance plate the year/ of manufacture/vin number plate usually placed on the front of the frame? or is there a seperate one?

I live in Victoria Australia too and yes they can be registered, I don't know about all states but in VIC we need a RWC as well for full reg,

If you buy new I'm pretty sure by law the can't charge you a fee for RWC if you buy with reg.

I think VIC is much the same as up here (QLD) regarding the RWC. I'm considering getting one new, so will be good to save on the RWC front.

I do rate the  CRF230, but I cant seem to find many with headlights/blinkers on the cheap. thats why the AG bike caught my eye. Just a cheap thing for small town use. Kind of like the old XR's. 

Thing for me is if its under 225cc its insanely cheap to register. 

Is the compliance plate the year/ of manufacture/vin number plate usually placed on the front of the frame? or is there a seperate one?

Ok, well if it has to be under 225cc then I guess an ag bike would be great.

Yes, the compliance plate is usually fixed somewhere near the headstock with that info on it. Just make sure it has one because some bikes don't. I've heard that farmers can pay a couple of hundred less for an ag bike without one, but if that's not the sort they have in the dealership at the time then I guess they will just buy the one with a compliance plate. 

If buying new you could ask to have it registered from new from the dealer, save you the hassle.

If buying second hand then remember that the Personal Property Securities Register is your friend (saved me from buying a statutory write-off once)  👍 http://www.ppsr.gov.au/Pages/ppsr.aspx

• Like 1