Sign in to follow this  

Coolant in motor oil

Hi All,

I 'inherited' a 2004 DR-Z 400 from a friend and decided to change the coolant and oil before taking it out for a ride.  When I went to drain the coolant, nothing came out except for a small amount of motor oil (issue #1).  I flushed some water through and it came out clean, so I decided to add some new coolant.  I put in the recommended amount, and yet I couldn't see anything in the radiator.  I then decided to drain the engine oil and out came my missing coolant.   I know that if you have a head gasket leak for example, the oil will be milky, but I assume this would be the case after running the bike, which I did not,  Are there any thoughts on what could be causing the coolant to mix in with the oil without running the bike?   

If your bike is leaking straight through , then you have a major problem . I would hazard a guess and say it is a bit more than a faulty gasket . Start with the easy bit first , check the water pump . Then if that looks OK , you are going to have start tearing down the bike , mostly top end though . Once you remove your valve cover you will be able to see the welsh plugs , but if all of the fluid is draining out , I think your problem is lower . Hopefully it is just the water pump seal , if it had a bearing failure and put a hole in the case , that could be painfull , greg

• Like 3

Looks like I have my work cut for me.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it's something minor, but I not overly optimistic at this point.  I'll follow up with what I find.  Thanks so much for the replies everyone!

Well I finally had time to get to the bike.  The water pump / seal / crank case gasket looked ok, but when I took the value cover off, it looked like one of the welsh plugs was missing.  I eventually took the head off and found the plug wedged in by one of the cylinder head bolts.  It actually looked fairly new so I'm guessing it was replaced at one time, but perhaps not epoxied in.  Hopefully with a new plug epoxied in, the problem will be solved.  However, I had set the head on the floor after removing the welsh plug and I noticed an aluminum pin on the floor beside it.  For the life of me, I I can't figure out where it came from.  I've enclosed a photo of it next to a cam cap cover pin, just to give some sense of size.  Any help in figuring out where this came from would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

drzpin.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's not a part in the head. In the head you got cams, caps valves, springs retainers, Valve seals and then the things that are right below the valve seals (I don't know what there called but they look nothing like that) and the welch plug.

I'm don't think I'm missing anything lol could be wrong tho wait for a more experienced reply lol

Edited by GVDRZ400SM

I'm pretty sure that's not a part in the head. In the head you got cams, caps valves, springs retainers, Valve seals and then the things that are right below the valve seals (I don't know what there called but they look nothing like that) and the welch plug.

I'm don't think I'm missing anything lol could be wrong tho wait for a more experienced reply lol

that aluminum part is not part of the head can't really even come up with where it is anywhere on the bike

that aluminum part is not part of the head can't really even come up with where it is anywhere on the bike

Thanks for the confirmation!