Waterpump

Happy new year to fellow 2 strokers..the bolt on the water pump that drains it came out, I found one that screwed in and now water flows freely out of weep hole so question is would a bolt to long be the cause?? Thanks in advance for info 🙂 it's a 03 yz250

Edited by shane06

No I didn't run it dry, I took the engine out to take to the shop and when I got it back but was missing that drainage bolt so I put one in and put water in. And it pisses out the little hole underneath.

I'm sure that the water pump shaft is easily available for the YZ, but I've had that problem on a few bikes: CR250, CRM250, YZ250, CR500 and most recently my Honda RS250 GP bike.

Getting these parts in Thailand is not always straightforward.

Reasonably easy to fix. Turned down the shaft, then turned a stainless bush as a press fit onto the shaft. Once all back together, check dimensions again and then polish the shaft to avoid any machining marks tearing the seals.

Worked fine and didn't suffer any abnormal wear or corrosion. I won't say that it saved any money as such, but it did relieve a few headaches. And as the YZ250 belonged to my next door neighbour, I did the fix out of the goodness of my heart, as it gave me a free pass to rev up my motorcycles long into the night without him complaining :-)

Cheers,

Matt.

Clean up the shaft and see what you have. As Hillbilly said a groove where the seal rides will ruin a seal in short order.

You can get more milage out of the shaft if you don't seat the seal in the case all the way. A 1/32" less will have the seal lips riding on a different part of the shaft off of the grooves made in the original location.

Hope this helps.