Used 250f's?

I am looking to buy a used 250f soon, and I have owned trail bikes in the past. I know with a mx bike a lot more maintenance is needed, but when buying are there specific things to look for? I am looking for a Yz250f, or a kx250f around the 2010 model. I just don't want to get one, then have it blow up or something go wrong with it. Any tips would be much appreciated 

Any bike can and will blow up. There are no if ands or buts about it. It really comes down to maintenance and how well loved the bike was. There is no bike that is bulletproof, but anybody can make just about any bike close to it. Look for the cleanest bike that has clearly been taken care of. You don't want one all modded to shit or one that a redneck beat around the sandpit on.

• Like 1

Try to get a sense of the service history of the bike - oil changes, filter changes, how many hours (engine hour meter?), was it raced?  How many times has the top end been replaced?  Does he have the old pistons for you to take a look at?  Does he have a maintenance log or receipts from a mechanic?

Is his garage a total mess - probably a sign of someone who doesn't take care of his stuff. Buying a used 250f is dangerous, have to make sure the bike has been taken care of.

Have him start it of course, obviously don't buy something that needs to be bump started or anything like that.

If you're a good mechanic, a used 250f isn't TOO scary - but if you've never really worked on this stuff, I would avoid it.

Good luck!

Edited by molotov_billy