RacerX 2006 Honda CRF 250 rebuild......how good is this bike?

So, a few months ago RacerX did this complete rebuild project.  The video goes through listing all of the parts upgrades and stuff, but at the end they do not say one word as the the performance of the bike and, more importantly, they do not even compare how the tricked out 2006 compared to the 2014 model they had on hand.  Very irritating in my opinion.  So...for some of you guys who have ridden or raced the CRF through the years, just how good would you guess their '06 would be, and just what would it give up to the '14 model.  I would have to say that this bike could still finish in the top-10 at Lorettta's in the A-class with a suitable rider on board.  What do you think??                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    http://racerxonline.com/2013/10/09/racer-x-tested-2006-crf250r-bike-rebuild

Edited by thsp485

So, a few months ago RacerX did this complete rebuild project.  The video goes through listing all of the parts upgrades and stuff, but at the end they do not say one word as the the performance of the bike and, more importantly, they do not even compare how the tricked out 2006 compared to the 2014 model they had on hand.  Very irritating in my opinion.  So...for some of you guys who have ridden or raced the CRF through the years, just how good would you guess their '06 would be, and just what would it give up to the '14 model.  I would have to say that this bike could still finish in the top-10 at Lorettta's in the A-class with a suitable rider on board.  What do you think??                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    http://racerxonline.com/2013/10/09/racer-x-tested-2006-crf250r-bike-rebuild

I buy blown up bikes all the time for flips. There are decent deals out there.

I fliped 07 KX250F last week. Bought it and flipped it within a week. I felt somewhat bad for the owner.

He spent hundreds at a local shop because it wouldn't start. They were guessing at the fix.  First a piston then to the tune of $600, then team green jetting for another 250. After that they told him it needed new valves and he threw in the towel. I got it and found the problem was a $13 carb diaphram.

Im guessing the bike sat a long while at some point because it was in fantastic condition

The KAW still had the original OEM shiny plastic and decals. The new owner only needed to put gas in it to go ride.

Once I got it running I wanted to keep it but we have too many bikes already... 

This Honda would not be "legal in the LL A class due to the BB kit.

It would be a great recreational rider though. I'm guessing that is the point of the project. 

Dirt bikes have come a long way over the years, and all of them are very good.

The only really bad ones to stay away at all cost were the very first 4 strokes from Suzuki and Kawasaki, up to  05.

I think those 2 years alone drove more riders bankrupt thank all other bikes combined.

Edited by nesc103y

IIRC, Dirt Bike magazine had a very similar or that same RockyMountain bike (plus another two stroke) in their pages in recent months.  Not sure if RacerX did their follow up or prologue to that video in their print editiions, as well?  I seem to recall reading more about it somewhere.

All said and done, both sources seem to point out that a well sorted pre-2010 bike is still a great bike.  In some cases, it takes some serious work to make it competitive with today's machines (I remember reading about a CRF250X that, instead of doing something obtainable to the regular Joe, they worked with a works factory team and used "super secret jetting and parts"), but for the average racer, the earlier bikes can easily be made equal to what's rolling off the showroom floor, now.

The issue that can be run into is that older bikes with mild hop-ups are as competitive as new showroom bikes.  As soon as similar mods and effort go into the new bikes, they get that little bit better again because of more modern chassis designs, mass centralization, etc.  

That's all on paper, though.  Sooner or later, everybody comes across that old, fat guy on some 1980's, sticker-free bike that rides past everybody in a race while eating a sandwich and smoking a cigar.  Or, for an approaching mid-life crisis guy like me, it's a 15 year old that weighs 60 lbs less with more natural skill than I have money to throw into my bike!  :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

i actually own the crf250r presented on the jay clark rebuild video , the bike is crazy fast on the track snappy throttle the smaller carb def makes a difference with throttle bog but ive never seen the 2014 in action compared to mine.

i actually own the crf250r presented on the jay clark rebuild video , the bike is crazy fast on the track snappy throttle the smaller carb def makes a difference with throttle bog but ive never seen the 2014 in action compared to mine.

Would be awesome to know your opinion on riding them back to back, since you have so much seat time in the modded bike! If you get a chance, definitely post up your thoughts.

I love my '07 the more I work on it, but always wonder about the new bikes.

Would be awesome to know your opinion on riding them back to back, since you have so much seat time in the modded bike! If you get a chance, definitely post up your thoughts.

I love my '07 the more I work on it, but always wonder about the new bikes.

I feel the same way.. I love my 07 but the newer bikes are just so.. enticing. Lol