05 crf450r aftermarket fork spring

Hey guys, picked up 05 crf450r from a guy at work who was moving out of state in a hurry... Long story short fork seal blew and while in the process of rebuilding the forks I noticed they were not using stock springs. I am not able to get a hold of the guy and have no idea what spring rate they are or I'd anything else was done to the forks.

Is their any way to determine what springs were used? All I have to go off is the two hash marked on the end of the springs .... Honestly I'm just trying to avoid playing guess the oil level

I started with factory level but it was horrible and have adjusted from their but still can't get it right... The forks were amazing prior to rebuild and I just can't seem to dial them back in

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second checking the axle alignment. If the fork was good before, and all you did was replace the seals etc, the spring was fine. leave it. Start your oil level over at 350cc in the outers.

Also, did you do an oil change on the inner chamber? Did you get the clickers back where they needed to be, or where they were when you started?

hash marks on the end of the springs are indicators of stock springs.. "I" "II" or "III" .. soft, med, hard, that each indicate a spring rate. "II" is standard or "med" on most hondas at .47 or so ? would have to check my manual (or check yours, it's listed) but those would be Honda springs.. and likely OEM that came in that bike.. Race tech aftermarket springs are notated on the side with the rate. It's only a small black paint number, but it's there, and there are no hash marks on the end of RT fork springs.

oil level will play a big part in how harsh they feel depending on what you are riding/racing. MX, need more, close/at stock level. (440 ?) for offroad, harescrambes, enduros.. we run way less. Around 350 to 375'ish unless you are one big m-effer.

and will "concur" 🙂 with others on fork alignment. if your axle is protruding at all out of the brake lever/pedal side fork but, that leg is pulled in and not aligned. axle should be recessed a tiny tad.

Edited by MELK-MAN
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ok so wanted to post an update after many trials and fails and do overs!!!!  Before i did anything i took everyone advice and checked to make sure proper alignment and nothing was binding....  I had hoped it was that simple but it still rode horrible!!!!   I them re checked the factory manual and my Cylmer manual and they both show "II" marks means aftermarket .. so again i was stuck. 

I then decided to start the entire thing from scratch, i pulled both forms dumped all oil in both the dampers and the forks set every to standard factory level.   Still horrible!!! Spent two days of riding just playing with comp and rebound too!!! I also noticed that the new fork seals i put on the bike were super sticky .. the fork tubes would barely slide under their own weight (when the forks were apart and i had just the tubes a la cart) I guess thats what i get for buying cheap seals... 

Now today .. Ordered brand new SKF seals for both inner and dust seals ...  HOLY SHIT!!!  if you have never used SKF seals spend the money they are so smooth you can barely tell their are seals on the forks!! I then put all new 5w fork oil and set the dampers at the required level and the forks at the almost bare minimum 350 ml ...  so far the forks seem a million times better .. im going to ride for a little and add oil in 10ml increments as i ride until i find the sweet spot!!!  And most importantly i am documenting everything!!     

Thank you for everyone's input!!!!!

good to hear. smooth forks are really nice..

but II means standard OEM springs.. as mentioned earlier, even the honda manual shows I-soft II-med III- Hard.. and it indicates what rates those equate to as well. i think II, med, is .47?

Edited by MELK-MAN