How do i remove this damned honda bearing retainer?

I really need some help guys and would really appreciate it

Anyways the rear bearings on the xr600 are 100% f'd up an i finally got the new bearings in, i went for moose racing a25-1217 WB kit. I know now i shoukd have got the pivot works cause it comes with the tool... But i got what i got and i need to get this gay retainer off this hub safely to be reused hopefully.

I read im suppose to drill it so i drilled it ever so slightly in all 4 holes but have o way to turn it but i noticed some odd markings inbetween the holes on the outter edge, are they just line up marks Or what? Thanks heres a pic

Alsoi dont know if its suppose to be stuck on there but that wheel spacer in the picture spins but will not for the life of it pull out... So i imagine it stays right? Or is it welded to the bearing from heat?

1420224961292.jpg

I know this has been discussed in the XR600 forum, you might search there.

I have searched... Their is no food explanation or a single video... It freakin sucks. Im not sure how deep to go or what. Its not like im just sitting here waiting for yall to answer it im trying to make a tool that will work but that damn wheel spacer wont come off and its in the way or else i might have it off...any ideas? Edited by PigsCanFlyTooYouKnow

Well if you don't want to use/buy the tool you can use a dull pin punch and a BFH , just tap it around carefully. When one hole gets damaged use the next one. If you have a tool shop near you, (not harbor freight) they might have an adjustable spanner wrench. Hmmm or two punches and a pry-bar. Place punches in holes across from each other and rotate with pry-bar. As for the spacer, it may have worn a groove in it, pop it out with pry-bar .

I tried to punch mine out & messed up holes pretty good. the best DIY tool is the steel bar (approx anything close to a foot long & close to  a1/4" thick & close to 1" wide) with drilling the 2 holes (same spread as retainer holes)with the right sized pins,  driven into holes .( I went to hardware store & bought rolled compression pins, about 1" long) Let pins stick out approx 1/4" to 3/8" . Did you remove the axle spacer/seal bushing on that side? It makes it easier to access retainer. I had a real hard time getting my retainer out , because it was semi fused to hub. It came out with some of the female threads aluminum on it. I ordered a new retainer, because I did not want to buy a new hub & cost of replacing wheel. I was able to use old retainer till new came in. BUT had a real hard time, trying not to cross thread, going back in. Take your time & dont get angry.

Well if you don't want to use/buy the tool you can use a dull pin punch and a BFH , just tap it around carefully. When one hole gets damaged use the next one. If you have a tool shop near you, (not harbor freight) they might have an adjustable spanner wrench. Hmmm or two punches and a pry-bar. Place punches in holes across from each other and rotate with pry-bar. As for the spacer, it may have worn a groove in it, pop it out with pry-bar .

I tried to punch mine out & messed up holes pretty good. the best DIY tool is the steel bar (approx anything close to a foot long & close to a1/4" thick & close to 1" wide) with drilling the 2 holes (same spread as retainer holes)with the right sized pins, driven into holes .( I went to hardware store & bought rolled compression pins, about 1" long) Let pins stick out approx 1/4" to 3/8" . Did you remove the axle spacer/seal bushing on that side? It makes it easier to access retainer. I had a real hard time getting my retainer out , because it was semi fused to hub. It came out with some of the female threads aluminum on it. I ordered a new retainer, because I did not want to buy a new hub & cost of replacing wheel. I was able to use old retainer till new came in. BUT had a real hard time, trying not to cross thread, going back in. Take your time & dont get angry.

Thanks guys exactly what i was looking for! Very much appreciated. I will give it a try and hopefully can get it done soon

Well the bearing retainer may need replacing now... guess im going to hack it out of there. Might need a new hub too lol. Finally got it to start backing out... Thanks for mentioning the punch and hammer method, worked great altho the retainers scrap now Oh well atleast its out finally..

1420237379696.jpg

Edited by PigsCanFlyTooYouKnow

Right on the outer edge are 4 marks......those are "stake" marks....they take a punch and Stake the hub and retainer together so they will not loosen......you need to drill those down in just enought to get rid of the stake marks....you do not drill down through the round holes the tool goes in......

After drilling the stake marks the retainer comes out alot easier.....

i`d say you just destroyed the hub too..because you couldn`t wait for help,..but you`ll see after getting the retainer out..

B

Edited by brianhare
  • Like 1

Right on the outer edge are 4 marks......those are "stake" marks....the take a punch and Stake the hub and retainer together so they will not loosen......you need to drill those down in just enought to get rid of the stake marks....you do not drill down through the round holes the tool goes in......

After drilling the stake marks the retainer comes out alot easier.....

i`d say you just destroyed the hub too....but you`ll see after getting the retainer out..

B

This is exactly why i asked for help yet no one was still clear enough... I accidently hit the threads with the chisel and it tooka chunk lol oh well guess im in the market for a new wheel again. Or maybe i will just replace the bearings with a new retainer (ie force new retainer in). And worryabout a new rear wheel the next time around when she needs fixin again. The shop can do my next set of bearings. F u honda.

And i did wait long enough for help, but i dont have any tools and hardly any time! i dont have time to just sit on my hairy ass twiddling my fingers waiting for info that may or may not even come... Cant rely on the internet my friend

Live and learn i suppose

Edited by PigsCanFlyTooYouKnow

If you post in the appropriate XR600/650 forum you would have gotten an answer pretty quickly........

But you also gotta understand that people work for a living so sometimes it takes a bit..

So you didn`t want to twirl your fingers eh........so what did being impatient just gain you that a few hours wait would have avoided...

Sorry if i sound sarcastic,but everybody these days wants immediate answers,,they want it..NOW...........

And this is the result of not cooling off and waiting for someone with the knowledge to sign in..

B

When you have something like that and dont have right tools would have saved you a lot by just taking wheel and new bearing up to the local Honda shop and let them do it!!!

Yea that would be lovely if only i could!!!! There isnt a honda dealer nearby and my cars being fixed right now so i cant. And no im not going to take it to an overpriced shop or something as simple as that was. Yea i messed up this time cause i had no idea what i was doing but now i understand how it works... Wont happen again hopefully. Im broke as a joke right now or else i would have the tool... Edited by PigsCanFlyTooYouKnow

At least it'll serve as a cautionary tale for the search engines to drag up.

Even with the tool, that retainer can be a dog to break loose. Always have another retainer at hand during a bearing change, even when using the tool. The retainer threads often gall when removed, especially if they've been in there for many, many years.

It's always better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it. Within reason though, not like keeping extra hearts and kidneys around.

Edited by Onederer