any riders in the Mill City Oregon area?

seeing if anyone in my area wants to ride soon, i mean like really soon, its been pretty cold up here in the mountains and seems like im on my own in these cold days, i must admit that 20 degree weather is too cold for most but theres gotta be a die hard out there.. supposed to warm up this weekend (35-50F i think) might bring some rain, but me i dont really care as im anxious to get some ride time in to help work out the kinks on this new to me bike

1111141351a.jpg

Not any more, but that's where I'm from. Was just back for Xmas.

Where are you riding at?

a friend up here just told me a few hours ago that he was riding to but with a group up here tomorrow around 11, gonna be quads, my bros 3 wheeler and a few bikes, gonna see if we can make it up to tom rock or monument peak probably, should be good cause i know theres snow up there, was up there 2 days ago in a capable 4x4 truck and couldnt get to monument peak but did make it to tom rock which had some decent icy snow

Edited by nutjob

Just pay attention for enforcement - pretty sure you need to be street legal to be legit out there, and there's very little if any legal offroad trails anymore. When I grew up there, there were old trails all over and everyone rode dirt bikes, three wheelers and quads in the hills. Don't see much of it anymore, and for sure the state and private lands watch it a lot more.

its a shame that its like that, our liberties are dwindling away every year.. been up there several times on the bike and stick to the gravel mostly, dont cut new paths and dont bypass gates and keep the speed down especially on the turns.. once i get plated or get a truck to transport this thing whichever comes 1st more options will be available for me

got a 72 mile ride in today, spilled over twice, snow sucks on bikes, seemed more fun when i was a kid, sore, tired, wah wah wah lol

my bro on the 3 wheeler took a nasty spill on a gravel pile, didnt put enough weight up front and flipped over the top of him landing on his arm, bent his bars and fudged his front fender, got it on video, will try to post it soon..

even though it was tough, im ready for more!!

0103151257.jpg

0103151342.jpg

0103151351a.jpg

0103151434.jpg

0103151434a.jpg

0103151636.jpg

0103151636a.jpg

• Like 1

McCoy is more of a snow machine area, I lived in idanha for quite some time and we had trails built all over the coopers ridge area (opposite side of hwy) haven't been there in quite a while, so not sure how the trails are kept up. We help build the track there at the card lock station across from blowout rd. Its far from a track now since the previous owners sold it and new owners wouldn't let us ride or maintain.

• Like 1

dont think ive ever been up to McCoy but almost every NF road up here is pretty fun to travel, theres a few peaks reachable that overlook detroit lake, niagra rd has a few cool spots like rocky top and the natural rock arch/bridge also the linn county side of mill city has monument peak and tom rock (i actually lived out there for 2.5 months last summer, long story lol) i know of a way to get to green peter reservior through the mountains from mill city as well as to detroit lake from here (attempted it with 4x4 trucks 2 yrs ago but after a long drive it was unpassable to larger vehicles) wanting to do a ton of exploring around up here this summer if anyones down for it, not really into huge convoys but 3-5 people would be perfect imo..

• Like 1

That would be awesome, I ride a yz250 which I can't get plated and my fuel range is poor, but I would definitely be Down with something like that. I usually pack extra fuel.

That would be awesome, I ride a yz250 which I can't get plated and my fuel range is poor, but I would definitely be Down with something like that. I usually pack extra fuel.

• 1 month later...

More info please? I'm in Lebanon looking for trails

You won't find much in the way of trails, note that I said with plates.  There are miles and miles of gravel roads between Lyons and Sweethome, and East to 22.  Google maps and the Gazetteer will be your best source of info, but NONE of the maps are completely accurate for logging roads.  It's very common for roads to connect where they don't on maps, and not connect where the map says they should.

I would suggest exploring McCully mtn road toward the South side of Mill City, up Monument Peak, and then either down Kenney creek to Detroit, south to Quartzille, or over Straight creek to Hwy 22.  From Straight Creek, you can continue South toward Parish and Daly lakes and eventually to Hwy 20.

There used to be trails on the North and South side of Mill City, but all have been closed down.  Same with the Shelburg falls area.  As far as I know, the only legal riding now in this area is with plates on gravel roads.  Or of course, Albany SX or Rock Hill.

You won't find much in the way of trails, note that I said with plates. There are miles and miles of gravel roads between Lyons and Sweethome, and East to 22. Google maps and the Gazetteer will be your best source of info, but NONE of the maps are completely accurate for logging roads. It's very common for roads to connect where they don't on maps, and not connect where the map says they should.

I would suggest exploring McCully mtn road toward the South side of Mill City, up Monument Peak, and then either down Kenney creek to Detroit, south to Quartzille, or over Straight creek to Hwy 22. From Straight Creek, you can continue South toward Parish and Daly lakes and eventually to Hwy 20.

There used to be trails on the North and South side of Mill City, but all have been closed down. Same with the Shelburg falls area. As far as I know, the only legal riding now in this area is with plates on gravel roads. Or of course, Albany SX or Rock Hill.

A lot of good info thank you! Sounds like I just need to get out and adventure!