Sign in to follow this  

Best 2 stroke or 4 stroke for trails

Hey everybody, I've been posting a lot of the "what do you guys think of this bike" threads and I thought I'd try something different.

I want to buy a bike for $1500 max and ride it for trails. I'm 5' 8" 140 pounds. I want to buy a bike that is good for beginners, but I won't outgrow in 2 weeks.

I'm no stranger to maintenance, so I won't mind doing my own work, and I can learn and buy tools and parts.

My experience is with a dr650, and I've been trying to ride it as if it were a dirt bike, and it's proven difficult. I always drop it since it is heavy, and I'm scared to go down big hills on it. Also, my arm gets tired very quickly from working the clutch so much in 1st gear for going slowly. I think that's because of the gearing for a dual sport motorcycle.

What would be a good bike for me? I'm leaving towards yz250, or crf250.

Also, I live in southern California. Thanks!

Edited by travisantonissen

yes kdx200 is an excellent trail bike. also rmx250. the stock one is pretty anemic, so pretty easy to learn on, and once you have outgrown it, you can put a different head gasket on it and a different pipe and it will waken it up. also, the smaller XRs and TTRs make good reliable trail bikes, but are a bit heavier.  

If your budget is 1500, why do you keep looking for junk that is a third of that? If you want to get a good runner, you are going to need to spend more than $500.

Edited by KcDavis

The KDX (200, 220, or 250) are all nice choices, and in your price range you might be able to find a 2-stroke RMX250, or 2-stroke WR250. Yamaha also sold a WR200 but sold very few and they are very hard to find. All were great bikes for their day and can still be fun and capable bikes.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/RM-RMX-series/index.html?RM250-RMX250.shtml~isoraami

http://georgiaoffroad.com/dirtbike.php?modelid=795

http://www.bikepics.com/yamaha/wr/95/pics.asp

CoKTM

Edited by coktm

If your budget is 1500, why do you keep looking for junk that is a third of that? If you want to get a good runner, you are going to need to spend more than $500.

Just looking for that stellar deal. 

Look for a 95+ KDX 200 or a 97+ KDX220. Exact year doesn't matter, they are all the same after the dates I posted. Look for condition and equipment to make the "great deal". 

Some things to look for....After market pipe, skid plate, bark busters, KX fork conversion. You want the original headlight and rear fender with the bike (installed or not) as they are EXPENSIVE to replace.

Look for a 95+ KDX 200 or a 97+ KDX220. Exact year doesn't matter, they are all the same after the dates I posted. Look for condition and equipment to make the "great deal".

Some things to look for....After market pipe, skid plate, bark busters, KX fork conversion. You want the original headlight and rear fender with the bike (installed or not) as they are EXPENSIVE to replace.

How is this one? https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/4827842476.html

I was looking at that. It's a little rough, but throw the other $400 in your budget at it, it would be a good bike. There is a 220 over there, been lowered, no pictures in the add. If he has all the stock parts, it's gold!

oh, in california I would look for a 2 stroke that is older than 2003, so that it can be green stickered and you can ride it more places. that 2000 kdx200 seems like a nice bike; hard to say from the photos alone. you should check it out. check wheel bearings, stem bearings, etc... they are easy to replace, but will give you some negotiation power to get a better deal. that specific one doesn't have the stock headlight.

I was looking at that. It's a little rough, but throw the other $400 in your budget at it, it would be a good bike. There is a 220 over there, been lowered, no pictures in the add. If he has all the stock parts, it's gold!

Which ad are you looking at the one with no pics?