Best Woods riding tire?

I got a hole in my Dunlop D952 (110-90/19). I bought it off ebay, and I dident know that they stopped making them and now can not find them... That was the best tire I have ever had, Woods or motocross track, never tore up even in New Englands sharp granite.. I would like to know what tire is best and strong for the Gnarly woods. Thanks

I too have been running the rear 952 for years in Oregon singletrack- typically wet, rocky and muddy. I had a new Pirelli MT16 given to me and tried it out on my old GasGas EC300. Was blown away by how much traction it had. Wears well too.

Sold the bike to a friend and still on the 952 on another bike. I had to ride my old GasGas up a tough section for him yesterday and was speachless all over again by how much more grip this tire has. Couldn't evn keep the front end down in some places where the 952 was just spinning.

I won't even bother looking for the 952 again. There are some other great tires recommended by qualified riders here on TT and I will be trying them one of these days but the MT16 I already know is a rock solid choice.

I too have been running the rear 952 for years in Oregon singletrack- typically wet, rocky and muddy. I had a new Pirelli MT16 given to me and tried it out on my old GasGas EC300. Was blown away by how much traction it had. Wears well too.

Sold the bike to a friend and still on the 952 on another bike. I had to ride my old GasGas up a tough section for him yesterday and was speachless all over again by how much more grip this tire has. Couldn't evn keep the front end down in some places where the 952 was just spinning.

I won't even bother looking for the 952 again. There are some other great tires recommended by qualified riders here on TT and I will be trying them one of these days but the MT16 I already know is a rock solid choice.

I will definatly look at the MT16! thank you! hope it dont where down to much haaha

• Like 1

M403/404 combo is the best all around tire set I have tried.  They wear well and work predictable on all terrain types which I find important for woods riding.  I also know a lot of people that use the MT16 rear with great success but I have not had a chance to try one yet.

+1 on theses, ran dunlops for years. Put on a set of these this summer and still looking good and hooking up. Even with a lot of rocks hasn`t lost any knobs yet.

• Like 1

Trials for the woods.  Unless you're always in super muddy conditions in which case I'd go with the IRC m5b

Yes on a Trials tire superb traction everywhere except loam and soft mud, but they lack side knobs.  Best of the Trials tires are the Michelin X-11, X-lite, and Dunlop D803; all 4.00R18 radial ply construction. I've run radial ply Trials tires on my last four bikes and they out wear any knobby and lose less traction when worn than a knobby. The Dunlop will have a lower life cycle cost than any knobby.

The big casing absorbs tree roots and rocks better than a knobby.  IMO the best for woods riding.

Michelin S12. Best soft terrain tire there is. Will get ripped up in rocks though but will still bite well.

I've run S-12s on the front and really liked them in the winter but not when things started drying out, too sketchy. I also didn't like the Dunlop Geomax MX51F for the same reasons

I think the M12 is a better compromise if you're also doing rock duty.

Yep M-12 is a very good all round tire, I prefer it over the S12 in the wet PNW.

New England woods it really difficult to chose a tire. Theres LOTs of roots, Sharp Rocks , Rocks Rocks rocks rocks, and loads of stagnant mud.......

Sounds a lot like the wet PNW.  Try a Dunlop D803 4.00R18 with the Tubliss system at 6psi, 3.5-4psi for wet clay; you'll be amazed.

Edited by Chuck.

Using MX tires, any rocks would mean priority on a long wearing tire.

How about trying a Pirelli MX Extra X ?

Reviews are pretty positive as long as you don't expect a 'great' tire in very specific terrain conditions

but rather one that handles anything you encounter 'pretty good'.

There's the Maxxis IT that is also long wearing but I think the Pirelli MX Extra is little

more versatile in the soft stuff, the thread pattern is very similar to a Dunlop MX51.

The 19" wheel size may limit your choices for enduro type tires.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1