Installing o ring chain?

got my o ring chain with the clip type master link.  it has the link part with pins, the opposite side plate, retainer plate and some o ring.  when assembling the chain, does any type of grease need to be applied to the o rings/master link before it is assembled and pressed together?

And if they don't come with any, i use some white Lubriplate (no. 1242 lithium) grease on them.

thanks.  i did see a tiny packet of grease in there when i opened everything up.  the grease is about the  volume of half a 177 caliber bb...so im gonna have to spread it thin,

is it best to put the grease on the oring itself, or try to get it on the chain itself where the o ring touches either side?

As a tip, use vice grips to squeeze the plates together. Let it sit for 15 min or so, then pop them off and install the clip.

thanks...that is a nice tip to know.

Use a six in crescent wrench between the pins and you can be finished in about a minute. Put it between the pins as tight as you can,wiggle wiggle wiggle a couple times and retighten. repeat a couple times until the clip has enough room to slide on. Goes faster than I can type it.

• Like 1

thanks.  i did see a tiny packet of grease in there when i opened everything up.  the grease is about the  volume of half a 177 caliber bb...so im gonna have to spread it thin,

is it best to put the grease on the oring itself, or try to get it on the chain itself where the o ring touches either side?

Either way will work, putting it on the o-rings would be more targeted as that's what your lubricating with it, just make sure there's a good film on both sides of all 4 o-rings. Ride it once, clean the chain thoroughly, then give it a spray of Maxima Chain Wax, you're good.

How so?

i lubed the orings and put it together.  i had a small chain press and clamped it together.   i had to squeeze it pretty good it the clip on.  well was doing some late night reading and found i really needed to lubricate the pins on the link, which i didnt.

i should have left well enough alone, but had to take it apart to relubricate.

took the clip off and the side plate would not budge.  i had to use a screwdriver to drive between to get it loose.  it was hell of a job to get the side plate off even with a hammer and screw driver.  i pretty much ruined the plate getting it off.

i was going to just order a new master link, but then discovered i scratched the main chain up also with the screwdriver and my primitive means of getting the plate off.

so a new chain is on the way.

🤣 "scratched my chain"🤣 "It's ruined"🤣

Buy a new master link and run it! 👍

Master link goes together like this; Innerlink / O-ring / chain / 0-ring / side plate / clip.....Lube the master link with supplied lube, If you skipped this step, run it any ways. Your going to have to "press" the master link together first time it goes together, that's what sets the O-rings. If you press to hard, the chain will "bind" at the master link when "relaxed" IF YOU DID THIS...run it anyways. Buy a 2nd/spare master link with your new chain (so it's included with shipping) and you have a spare/back up, just in case you break it.

Oh, and I alway recomend reading teh instructions BEFORE installing new parts...It's good advice no matter what you are doing......I sure wish the Engineers at work would do this  :rant:  :banghead:

i lubed the orings and put it together. i had a small chain press and clamped it together. i had to squeeze it pretty good it the clip on. well was doing some late night reading and found i really needed to lubricate the pins on the link, which i didnt.

i should have left well enough alone, but had to take it apart to relubricate.

took the clip off and the side plate would not budge. i had to use a screwdriver to drive between to get it loose. it was hell of a job to get the side plate off even with a hammer and screw driver. i pretty much ruined the plate getting it off.

i was going to just order a new master link, but then discovered i scratched the main chain up also with the screwdriver and my primitive means of getting the plate off.

so a new chain is on the way.

I would have just lubed it up as usual and run it as is without trying to pull it apart. I've been wrong before, but I think it would have been just fine.

I would have just lubed it up as usual and run it as is without trying to pull it apart. I've been wrong before, but I think it would have been just fine.

Absolutely correct.

To the OP: Just run it. Worst case, it needs a new master link sooner rather than later, big deal. You should have at least one spare in your trail kit/ MX toolbox anyway.

Know how long the original grease stays under the o-rings? A few rides or ONE pressure washing. That's why we lube o-ring chains, to keep the o-rings moist and at least a speck of lube on the pins & plates.

Do the best job you can, check the master often and lube the chain every ride. What you lube it with doesn't even matter as long as it's oily in some way- some guys use WD-40, some use 90wt. gear oil. It all works.

Like changing a tire, the next ones get easier.

Absolutely correct.

To the OP: Just run it. Worst case, it needs a new master link sooner rather than later, big deal. You should have at least one spare in your trail kit/ MX toolbox anyway.

Know how long the original grease stays under the o-rings? A few rides or ONE pressure washing. That's why we lube o-ring chains, to keep the o-rings moist and at least a speck of lube on the pins & plates.

Do the best job you can, check the master often and lube the chain every ride. What you lube it with doesn't even matter as long as it's oily in some way- some guys use WD-40, some use 90wt. gear oil. It all works.

Like changing a tire, the next ones get easier.

I hear Rotella works best?
  • Like 2