Thermostat failures?

I had an issue with my 2014 300 six days last summer. New bike, used for less than 20 hours and it developed a crank in the jug, slowly using water, mostly getting sucked in the engine when it was shut off and would cool down. Ran the spal fan since brand new, no over heats I know of. 

KTM agreed to replace the jug, and piston but I still do not know the root cause of the failure crack. Can the thermostat fail closed? I have the eilmation kit, planning on do it as in North carolina its never that cold and I think thermostat's are to keep the engine warm in really cold climates. 

Anyone heard of this? Anyone crack a jug or fail a thermostat closed? 

XCW's which are also called EXC's in other countries are the only models that come with thermostats.  The reason they come with thermostats is because they are the most likely models to be licensed and used on the roads.  The thermostat helps a bike warm up faster so when someone goes outside, starts a bike and takes off down the highway it will not hurt it.  That is the only reason they need a thermostat.  XC do not have them, SX do not have them.  I take them off my bikes as soon as I get one.  Never had one fail but it is plastic and I have melted plastic fittings on other bikes in mud races.  I remove mine and run hose systems exactly like an XC.  There is no need for a thermostat as long as you properly warm your bike up before riding it wide open. 

XCW's which are also called EXC's in other countries are the only models that come with thermostats. The reason they come with thermostats is because they are the most likely models to be licensed and used on the roads. The thermostat helps a bike warm up faster so when someone goes outside, starts a bike and takes off down the highway it will not hurt it. That is the only reason they need a thermostat. XC do not have them, SX do not have them. I take them off my bikes as soon as I get one. Never had one fail but it is plastic and I have melted plastic fittings on other bikes in mud races. I remove mine and run hose systems exactly like an XC. There is no need for a thermostat as long as you properly warm your bike up before riding it wide open.

Bingo. Exactly what I was thinking. Warming the bike is SO important. With a water cooled jug, the piston warms up and expands in a still-cold cylinder... cold seizure, especially important if running a forged piston. And, no thermostat helps coolant flow.

Sold, the thermostat on the Husaberg is coming out.

I certainly wouldn't worry about them in 99.99% of cases. Have you gits ever heard of someone having trouble with one?

I have never heard of any issues with one, I agree with you that probably never would.  I just take it off so I won't be the .01% that does. 

• Like 1

Bingo. Exactly what I was thinking. Warming the bike is SO important. With a water cooled jug, the piston warms up and expands in a still-cold cylinder... cold seizure, especially important if running a forged piston. And, no thermostat helps coolant flow.

Sold, the thermostat on the Husaberg is coming out.

Wow, that is like counter intuitive thinking, you know the facts and yet pick the wrong choice? 

How about a long coast down a hill and then a burst of power to get up the other side?

No thermostat means full cooling and then BLAMO! Full power means cold seizure. 

I did it with a JetSki with no thermostat. Several times until we got to the reason. 

Thermostats in liquid cooled engines are a wonderful thing, keep them.

Need a better explanation? 

Steve

Wow, that is like counter intuitive thinking, you know the facts and yet pick the wrong choice? 

How about a long coast down a hill and then a burst of power to get up the other side?

No thermostat means full cooling and then BLAMO! Full power means cold seizure. 

I did it with a JetSki with no thermostat. Several times until we got to the reason. 

Thermostats in liquid cooled engines are a wonderful thing, keep them.

Need a better explanation? 

Steve

I see what you're saying, I kind of jumped issues.

I want no thermostat in the tight woods we ride... better cooling.

Without a thermostat, warming up the bike takes more time.

Sorry for not being clearer.

I see what you're saying, I kind of jumped issues.

I want no thermostat in the tight woods we ride... better cooling.

Without a thermostat, warming up the bike takes more time.

Sorry for not being clearer.

You have the opposite logic again.

No thermostat is used on race bikes to drop 1/4 lb on a bike that will be carefully warmed and driven at max. No light loads.

For woods use, even for competitive enduro use, a thermostat is a must have.

Cold engines don't make the best power and wear parts, a thermostat keeps temps at optimum.

Bike warms MUCH FASTER with a thermostat. In fact many bikes won't warm up without them or some load.

As for cooling, most thermostats do not hinder cooling. They definitely prevent wear.

If you are running forged pistons I would absolutely have one to keep temperature consistency.

Remember: too cool is as damaging as too hot.

Steve Best

196673_10150156145500803_667441_n.jpg?oh

Edited by sbest
  • Like 2

You have the opposite logic again.

No thermostat is used on race bikes to drop 1/4 lb on a bike that will be carefully warmed and driven at max. No light loads.

For woods use, even for competitive enduro use, a thermostat is a must have.

Cold engines don't make the best power and wear parts, a thermostat keeps temps at optimum.

Bike warms MUCH FASTER with a thermostat. In fact many bikes won't warm up without them or some load.

As for cooling, most thermostats do not hinder cooling. They definitely prevent wear.

If you are running forged pistons I would absolutely have one to keep temperature consistency.

Remember: too cool is as damaging as too hot.

Steve Best

196673_10150156145500803_667441_n.jpg?oh

I disagree... and that's where I'll leave it.

OK, you are talking about cold weather riding....we are discussing warm weather racing.  Your picture is a 4 wheeler and that t stat is not plastic.  So you may be correct for a polar climate but not for summer time racing in the USA.  XC and SX bikes do not even have t stats and I know they do not add them.  Different climates, different circumstances.

You very well could be correct for winter riding, I do not ride in the cold....so I do not know.  But in the summer a t stat is not needed and that is where I will leave that.

OK, you are talking about cold weather riding....we are discussing warm weather racing.  Your picture is a 4 wheeler and that t stat is not plastic.  So you may be correct for a polar climate but not for summer time racing in the USA.  XC and SX bikes do not even have t stats and I know they do not add them.  Different climates, different circumstances.

You very well could be correct for winter riding, I do not ride in the cold....so I do not know.  But in the summer a t stat is not needed and that is where I will leave that.

You should send me your old ones since you don't like them.