ktm 525 or drz

Hi, first post and hoping to get a little help choosing my first dirt bike.

I've narrowed ny choice down to either a KTM 525EXC or a DRZ400e, i'm looking to ride %90 sand and dirt trials and a little bit of dirt road's on the side.

So far my research had concluded that the KTM is a far more capable bike in the bush with very good suspension from factory and bags of power, however i'll be buying used and i'm not particularly good with the tools, although the engine seems to be quite reliable it still needs fairly regular valve adjustments, and should ideally be looked after like a racing machine. 

In contrast it seems the DRZ is very much and oil, tyres and fuel kinda bike, not needing all that much special care to keep it ticking on and with a highly under stressed motor probably a safer second hand buy. 

i suppose the question is how much more trial friendly will a DRZ be with a suspension overhaul and properly sorted exhaust system?

would the KTM be a bit of risk buying used and how much trouble am i going to have being relatively new to dirt bikes and there mechanical upkeep? 

As you know the KTM is much more capable in the 'bush' and is also much lighter than the DRZ 400.  The 525's are easy to work on and service and are very reliable although I eventually replaced the soft stock intake valves with Kibblewhite stainless steel valves.  In the past I have sold two KTM's ('02 520 EXC & '04 525/540 EXC) to friends.  They both are still riding and enjoying these bikes.  The '02 520 currently has 25,000+ miles on it while the '04 540 has close to 20,000 miles.  The '02 520 had about 5,000 miles on it when I sold it while the '04 540 had 14,000+ miles on it when I sold it.  My current big bore bike is an '09 Beta RS which is equipped with a modified 565 KTM RFS engine.   

Edited by Chas_M

Ktm RFS any day over the DRZ, unless you spend more time on the road. RFS long stroke motors are solid, simple, and easy to work on. Valve checks/adjustments are done in half an hour once you get it down. Need a wrench, feeler gauge, and a screw driver. If you can work on an old air cooled volkswagen you can work on an RFS.

When looking at 525 check to see if the drain plugs are mangled, and that it start easy enough with the estart and kicker. Other than than they are pretty solid. And Chas isn't the only one I've heard of getting over 20k on his 525. Seems pretty doable with normal servicing.

Edited by bronkorob

Thanks, thats pretty much all i needed, had my heart set on the ktm. i doubt i'll be doing to many road miles as I've got a street bike for the tarmac so just the local dirt roads and the trips down the the beach/forest. time to start hunting.