What kind of coolant for the 2014 honda crf250l?

................... 👍

I was thinking of pinching the old hose shut and removing the lower and then install the new hose on the lower end and then just be quick when you make the switch .... 😏

you could if your skilled enough. If I was to do that it would go everywhere
  • Like 1

Noob question here but with coolant do you have to worry about air in the hose or anything like that? Or can you do this mod with just a drain and fill of the coolant?

I think you can just fill and let the motor idle for awhile to open thermostat and cycle through ... then just top it off as needed. I would still check it after the first ride and keep an eye on it for a few more just to be sure. 

My service manual is at home and I am at work but, if you're up for the read .... check here and feel free to download and save to your PC ... http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/62KZZ00_CRF250L13_OM.pdf

When filling the
system or reserve
tank with a coolant
(checking coolant
level), support the
motorcycle on a
level surface.

Bleed air from the system as follows:
1. Shift the transmission into neutral.
Start the engine and let it idle for 2 – 3 minutes.
2. Snap the throttle 3 – 4 times to bleed air from the
system.
3. Stop the engine and add the coolant.
4. Install the radiator cap and tighten the cap screw.
Remove the reserve tank cap [1] and fill the reserve
tank to the "UPPER" level line [2].
Install the reserve tank cap.
Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Noob question here but with coolant do you have to worry about air in the hose or anything like that? Or can you do this mod with just a drain and fill of the coolant?

I was going to drill a small hole in the thermostat to let the air out but I didn't have to do that it's got some type of valve thingy on it to let the air out.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you can just fill and let the motor idle for awhile to open thermostat and cycle through ... then just top it off as needed. I would still check it after the first ride and keep an eye on it for a few more just to be sure.

My service manual is at home and I am at work but, if you're up for the read .... check here and feel free to download and save to your PC ... http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/62KZZ00_CRF250L13_OM.pdf

When filling the

system or reserve

tank with a coolant

(checking coolant

level), support the

motorcycle on a

level surface.

Bleed air from the system as follows:

1. Shift the transmission into neutral.

Start the engine and let it idle for 2 – 3 minutes.

2. Snap the throttle 3 – 4 times to bleed air from the

system.

3. Stop the engine and add the coolant.

4. Install the radiator cap and tighten the cap screw.

Remove the reserve tank cap [1] and fill the reserve

tank to the "UPPER" level line [2].

Install the reserve tank cap.

Holy cow!! How did I miss this post earlier??

Thank you so much for the link for the manual! I was just about to order a print copy! I'm just going to put the digital copy on my iPad now!

Major props Gnath! Thanks for the coolant info as well.

Holy cow!! How did I miss this post earlier??

Thank you so much for the link for the manual! I was just about to order a print copy! I'm just going to put the digital copy on my iPad now!

Major props Gnath! Thanks for the coolant info as well.

I also own the print manual and it is priceless to own. When my bike goes to the shop I also provide the manual just in case they need it.

Sorry redsands. Been working and garage is cold as can be! Got my coolant though. Just ordered the honda hp stuff. Ready to install. Hmmmm, maybe tomorrow?? And I love the oil filter cover. I have just about all the red anodized bling. I know it's not for everyone, but I like it. I can say this though, the Yoshimura red items I have bought look horrible compared to the Zeta. The Zeta red is ON POINT!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1421294447.597244.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry redsands. Been working and garage is cold as can be! Got my coolant though. Just ordered the honda hp stuff. Ready to install. Hmmmm, maybe tomorrow?? And I love the oil filter cover. I have just about all the red anodized bling. I know it's not for everyone, but I like it. I can say this though, the Yoshimura red items I have bought look horrible compared to the Zeta. The Zeta red is ON POINT!📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1421294447.597244.jpg

No rush at all! I know how it is. I've got a few zeta bling items on now, but the oil filter cover was on back order. I guess I'll order it and just wait. Looking forward to your comments about the install and of course your pics!

Thanks for answering all my questions!

1) I don't see a need to drain the engine crank case. That's what you're doing if pull that bottom bolt of the water pump. Just for changing hoses I don't think it's necessary. I just pulled the hose off the pump and drained into a pan.

2) The Phillips head set screw on the radiator cap could strip real easy. I had to put the right size Phillips bit in a socket (#1) and push really hard to break loose and not strip.

3) I didn't install the added hose protectors back on the new hoses. They slide on and I just couldn't make them go on the new ones.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1421625833.135354.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1