No spark from a 02 XR400

I got the carb rebuilt but it appears I am not getting any spark.

I clamped the plug to the engine mount with vice grips using the flats for the wrench and then cranked over the engine by had.

shouldn't this let me see the plug fire or should I fasten it someplace else?

it does have a Ricky stator, is there something with with the different stator that will that make any difference?

Thanks

I was in the garage and that side of the bike was in the shadows,

if this is the correct way to ground the plug I will go out tonight and when I get ready I will have my wife turn the light out.

I will have to watch out the the BMW monster beside the 400, I think it is getting jealous of the 400 now 😉

Thanks

I believe the ricky stator has 3 outputs 2 100watt ac that has to be converted to dc and the other ac is for the ignition system.

I have had a problem like this before,

And as i recall, the ignition wire has to

Be an open circuit for the engine to fire, if the terminals at the key are connected, it dies.

I will check that but the bike I guess has run since 07 setup like this, the gent that gave it to me didnt have any problems with it but after he had the rod put in his leg he could not kick start it so it sat for 2 years.

I did have it started twice but the 3rd time I tried to start it nothing happed, so I figured the carb was gummed up and it was but it still wont start.

I will find out more in a bit when I get home

Thanks.

I will check that but the bike I guess has run since 07 setup like this, the gent that gave it to me didnt have any problems with it but after he had the rod put in his leg he could not kick start it so it sat for 2 years.

I did have it started twice but the 3rd time I tried to start it nothing happed, so I figured the carb was gummed up and it was but it still wont start.

I will find out more in a bit when I get home

Thanks.

I couldn't see the spark in daylight to save my life. As TR42 said, cup the plug in your hand and slowly push the kicker with the other hand. You'll know very quickly!

When you cleaned the carb did you replace the jets? Clean all passages? Are you getting fuel to the plug after the cleaning?

well there was no spark but I did find what it was, the plug from the stator to the coil was not plugged in all the way.

down side still no fire, I will pull the plug wire and use a different plug because I don't want to have to pull the gas tank again unless I have to.  I may have have busted a pin or wire in the plug when I plugged them back in.