2004 yz250f dies after riding HELP

Don't know what is going on here.  I can start my bike with choke on or off.  It will idle fine.  After riding my bike for a few minutes I noticed if I pull in the clutch the motor actually shuts off.  When I come to a stop with the clutch in it will not idle it will just die.  Then it takes me a bit to restart it but it will idle in neutral.  Im going to probably clean the carb next week but I was wondering if anyone had any other sort of ideas that I should try before cleaning.  Any help is appreciated.

I think you may be right about needing a cleaning.

I would also adjust idle speed and when cleaning, check the pilot jet and fuel screw and clean it.

Then I would use William1's fuel screw adjustment procedure.

These bikes do not like a slow idle, and they do not like partial throttle under no load.  Running on a dirt road at part throttle in 3rd gear will produce a stutter...known complaint.  I just live with it when it happens because I seldom ride it that way.

Good luck.

Cleaned the carb yesterday. While disassembling I noticed the hot start plunger not screwed in because the threads are stripped. Maybe this is the problem. Don't know how or when it happened, I have crashed about 6 times recently. I ordered parts and cleaned the carb too. Hope that's it.

That's probably the issue.  Make sure the cable does not drag and that the spring forces it back down.  If air gets in from the hot start, it does create a lean condition.  The plastic part that screws into the carb body can be replaced with an aluminum part.  Its much more reliable and positive when installing it.  Several makes out there.  Last ones I bought locally from Cycle Gear on sale.

Why do they use plastic in the first place?  Seems to easy to damage threads.   I think what happened is when I put on new grips (because of crash) I moved my ASV clutch setup out a bit.  I have high bars and thought it was good but I think when I turn bars fully to in one direction it yanked on the hot starter, naturally at the weakest point (plastic).  I will post to let you know if that was the problem after I recieve part on Friday. 

Finally got the plunger cap in the mail.  Assembling the carb back together I heard a crunch noise when I was tightening the float bowl drain screw.  After turning on the petcock of course gas starts pouring out of tube and screw area at the bottom of the float bowl.  Although I can't see a crack in the bowl I think there is one.  I was too frustrated and put everything aside for now.  It doesn't look like you can buy the bowl from some of the usual internet retail stores.  UGGGGHHHH.  Im not buying a new carb. 

Has anyone tried JBWeld?  Should I get someone to weld the crack if they can see it?  Anyone selling a bowl?

There are some decent priced used carb's that would fit your bike out there. I have a buddy with an old carb & can talk to him about selling it, if your interested.

Im surprised yamaha doesn't sell that part seperately. Have you also checked ebay to see if somebody had just the bowl for sale ?

• Like 1

Already checked ebay.  basically I can get a used carb for 125 and I found the powerbowl for 150.  So I guess I will go for the power enhancement of the powerbowl considering the rest of my carb is OK.  It would be cheaper Ron to just use muggy weld but in my experience I personally suck at welding and soldering.  A man has to know his limitations.  I think powerbowl it is.  And also I have a great lack of customer service to share if people are interested, involving the powerbowl.  I think some business owners should really rethink who answers customer service emails and the phone.  Some people just don't get it.

Edited by big mike42

It would be cheaper Ron to just use muggy weld but in my experience I personally suck at welding and soldering.  A man has to know his limitations. 

Hey Mike, I'd be happy to do it for you if you pay shipping both ways.  It would give you a spare.  Just send a PM.

I've got the Muggy Weld kit and it works great.  Like the video shows, when the flux turns brown, its hot enough to do the job.

I'm about to do my swingarm where the slider wore thru and the chain did some damage.

Good luck.

Hey Ron I just took a look at your garage.  Looks like you keep yourself busy working on all those bikes.  I have three and sometimes I feel overwhelmed with the amount of little things that need to be in the 4 hours I have available on Saturday.  Don't know how you do it.  Does your son help?