Florida Tires Suggestions

Any florida riders on here? Looking for tire suggestions for my xr650l. I still have the original and I know nothing about tires. I've done some reading but I'm still confused, especially since I've noticed people using different tires up from then on rear. Also confused about sizing..

I mainly ride my bike on the road daily but I do go off road from time to time. Off road here in Florida consists of a lot of sand and the streets get wet constantly.

I'm looking for something with good life, great wet traction and can perform decent off-road.

I will be going on some trips with my bike and have some gear on the back (20-30lbs) and sometimes I ride with a passenger. I weigh about 170lbs and passenger 120lbs. Mostly just me with minimum gear.

I cruise on the Suncoast at around 65-75 mph so they need to be good for highway use.

I'm assuming the factory tires are more for off-road use?

I'm thinking either 50/50, 60/40 or 70/30 type of tire. What are the stock ones?

I know there's plenty of time threads already but this is meant specifically for florida conditions, hot, wet and sometimes Sandy.

Here's my current rear tire..

1420426795686.jpg

1420426818625.jpg

I ride mostly off road, so I try to get the best for the sand & mud. But a lot of guys in the dual sport club like the dunlop 606 as previously mentioned. Also I hear the Pirelli 43 trial rear tire is good except for mud.http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/11015/i/pirelli-mt-43-trials-rear-tire. Maybe rich_in_orlando will tell you what he using.

• Like 1

Trying to decide between shinko 244 and 700....

I have burned off two sets of each.  I like the 700 better for wear, otherwise almost identical in riding.  I run them on an XL600, similar to 650L.  The front 700 I got 11,000 miles out of it.  Rears were about 3000 with the 244 or 700.  Normally front tires wear almost as fast as the rears, when time came I put another 700 on with no thoughts of alternatives. 

I commute mostly with my bike, with occasional forays in the dirt.

I have run 606's, MT 21's, T63's, and K270's.   Sticking with Shinko now,  cheap as the 270's but feel rounder and less squirmy.  T63 would be my next choice.  I like the roundness and feel of the T63, the knobs are kinda short though.  I have run off 2 sets of those.

Edited by davek18
  • Like 1

I used to live in FL and rode the Ocala NF some.  The 2 tires I ran there were the Pirelli MT21 (F&R) on an XR650L and a Kenda Trackmaster II rear with a Scorpion Pro front on a DRZ400S.  I rode with a guy that had Kenda 270s on a KLR650 and IMHO that would be the best tire for what you're looking for (80/20).  The Trackmaster II & MT21 Front would be a good one if you spend a lot of time in that sand (I think the Scorp Pro front would wear a bit too fast on the BRP). 

200011_4326738108_8501_n.jpg?oh=741846de

190561_4326778108_4364_n.jpg?oh=f801d3da

• Like 1

Shit i would be afraid a gator would pluck me off my bike. Imagine hitting a huge gator laying across your path in the water like a log, buh bye. Dont get me wrong i love gators and all the creepy crawlys down there but i dont like being eaten haha. I plan to move there as soon as i can. Dunno how many northern michigan winters i got left in me, screw this place. Yall chillin in 80 degree sunshine and im in a blizzard right now with 3 feet of snow on my door step.

Heres some michigan water for ya. Dont have to worry about dying either!

This is my video from this summer. I know shitty camera man just tilt you head its worth it. Im running worn street tires in that vid and i was litterally out doing 4 other 4x4 lifted jeeps it was hilarious. I will definetly get better video this summer in that mud hole

Xr600 mudding in a clay lake bed: http://youtu.be/4mDz-I1nHAU

• Like 1

They just mounted a front 606 for me as I could not get the thing in with tire irons!  I've heard just good things about them.

I didn't like the 606 front tire.  I have burned off 2 sets of them too.  I like the rear alright, but they changed rubber compound a few years back and it doesn't seen as glued to the pavement as before. I didn't like the fact that the front is directional, and marked backwards for the front too by my reckoning.  I like to reverse the front tire direction halfway through to wear them evenly.  I have run the 606 backwards (by their markings) with no troubles. 

I have run the Shinko 700 reversed too with no problem.  I think those also are marked backwards for a front tire.

Edited by davek18
  • Like 1

Shit i would be afraid a gator would pluck me off my bike. Imagine hitting a huge gator laying across your path in the water like a log, buh bye. Dont get me wrong i love gators and all the creepy crawlys down there but i dont like being eaten haha. I plan to move there as soon as i can. Dunno how many northern michigan winters i got left in me, screw this place. Yall chillin in 80 degree sunshine and im in a blizzard right now with 3 feet of snow on my door step.

Heres some michigan water for ya. Dont have to worry about dying either!

In FL, you can't go anywhere without having to run from a gator. They are EVERYWHERE. My kids are fast runners now. They have to be, getting chased daily on their way to school. 😉

In reality, you don't see many and those you do disappear quickly. They're not too interested in you. Gators are absolutely not part of your daily life in Florida. Funny that this feeling has become some common. The couple of times of year that I do see them, I think it's pretty interesting. Outside of missing my mountains, having lived out west my whole life, I like central FL. The winter weather is awesome, let me tell you. 😉

• Like 1

In FL, you can't go anywhere without having to run from a gator. They are EVERYWHERE. My kids are fast runners now. They have to be, getting chased daily on their way to school. 😉

In reality, you don't see many and those you do disappear quickly. They're not too interested in you. Gators are absolutely not part of your daily life in Florida. Funny that this feeling has become some common. The couple of times of year that I do see them, I think it's pretty interesting. Outside of missing my mountains, having lived out west my whole life, I like central FL. The winter weather is awesome, let me tell you. 😉

Haha yea, i know but theres always a chance! I like say you get stuck in the mud and it takes a while to push her out. Plenty of time for a croc to size you up as a meal.

Im always paranoid, probably wouldnt ever happen but you never know... I do want to check out some florida trails tho

I just moved here from cold as Wisconsin. Love it here!!! haven't seen any gators yet and I've been here since August of last year. I have however swerved around a big ass turtle

1420822475309.jpg

1420822509938.jpg

1420822512286.jpg

1420822524191.jpg

Edited by PigsCanFlyTooYouKnow
  • Like 1

I used to live in FL and rode the Ocala NF some.  The 2 tires I ran there were the Pirelli MT21 (F&R) on an XR650L and a Kenda Trackmaster II rear with a Scorpion Pro front on a DRZ400S.  I rode with a guy that had Kenda 270s on a KLR650 and IMHO that would be the best tire for what you're looking for (80/20).  The Trackmaster II & MT21 Front would be a good one if you spend a lot of time in that sand (I think the Scorp Pro front would wear a bit too fast on the BRP). 

200011_4326738108_8501_n.jpg?oh=741846de

190561_4326778108_4364_n.jpg?oh=f801d3da

We traded places. I lived in Colorado for a bit. Can't say I missed the long winters, but the late spring - fall riding is phenomenal. I just need enough money for a place in both locations. Winters here and summers there would be awesome!

We traded places. I lived in Colorado for a bit. Can't say I missed the long winters, but the late spring - fall riding is phenomenal. I just need enough money for a place in both locations. Winters here and summers there would be awesome!

Yea it would! Would love to have a place here and there. But i might soon, pull behind camper :D problem solved

• Like 1