Wiseco Crank for CR125

Alright guys, I got a Wiseco crank for my bike. I just wanted your feedback on them good things, bad things, etc. I've read about them and I've actually heard more negative things about them. I was going to get a Hot Rods crank but I wanted to try a Wiseco out. So, let me hear your guys feedback on them.

Don't know why most people still get Taiwanese cranks even though they hear and read bad things about them and try them anyway to come back on the forum to say there not good quality and to stick with OEM.... But some people have luck with them so give it a 'shot', even though oem most likely will give you less problems. Make sure you check the runout on the crank before you install

Don't know why most people still get Taiwanese cranks even though they hear and read bad things about them and try them anyway to come back on the forum to say there not good quality and to stick with OEM.... But some people have luck with them so give it a 'shot', even though oem most likely will give you less problems. Make sure you check the runout on the crank before you install

Well for one people have different experiences with them even if they've heard bad things about them.

My box actually says it was made in China. Mine has held up just fine for the past 2 years. I put about 20-30 hours of 125 riding on it so far and just replaced my piston. I checked the crank for play and it was still super tight. I put an hour meter on the bike and will replace the crank at 40 or 50 hours (total for the crank).

I bought because I was broke and it was "cheap". I failed to realize OEM is the same price. Maybe I just got a good one, but mine is holding up just fine.

That said, I would only buy OEM moving forward and look forward to replacing this one if/before it goes.

Well - 30 hours is nothing!

The stock crank in my '98 has lasted 200 hours of really intense MX riding. It didn't fail at all but i did a rebuild on that engine and swapped the crank anyway.

There's so many guys having issues with all sorts of aftermarket cranks....even worse those who change just the rods. But why would you want aftermarket anyway when the Honda stock part lasts AND has best quality AND costs even less??

Last time i paid like 155$ through Partzilla. Sorry guys - i really think getting a different crank is just dumb.

The stock crank in my '98 has lasted 200 hours of really intense MX riding. It didn't fail at all but i did a rebuild on that engine and swapped the crank anyway.

There's so many guys having issues with all sorts of aftermarket cranks....even worse those who change just the rods. But why would you want aftermarket anyway when the Honda stock part lasts AND has best quality AND costs even less??

Last time i paid like 155$ through Partzilla. Sorry guys - i really think getting a different crank is just dumb.

Agreed, I'm replacing mine so early because despite the fact it's holding up I just don't trust it. I 'presumed' an OEM crank would cost much more and didn't even look at one when I was crank shopping. As I said moving forward i'd never buy aftermarket again. 

I'm going to be completely honest with you I know very little about two stokes. Me personally I'm a four stroke guys and run everything Wiseco on my four strokes but I got a two stroke because I wanted a change. Once my crank went out on my CR I said let's get a Wiseco crank because like I said I run everything Wiseco on my four strokes. That my reason why I got a Wiseco crank, you guys might have not had any lick with them but who knows what mine is gonna do. Yes, once this crank goes out I'm definetly getting an OEM cranknsinceyou guys say you can't go wrong with them.

I just did my cr125 and when I priced it out, it seemed the hot rods was considerably cheaper. The OEM crank is only 150 but that is just the crank. The hot rods kit was 185 and includes the crank, bearings, all seals, and upper and lower gasket sets. That would add up to a lot more using all OEM.

• Like 1

I just did my cr125 and when I priced it out, it seemed the hot rods was considerably cheaper. The OEM crank is only 150 but that is just the crank. The hot rods kit was 185 and includes the crank, bearings, all seals, and upper and lower gasket sets. That would add up to a lot more using all OEM.

no-stock bearings and seals etc. are really just a couple of dollars.

Anyway - if your crank blows up you have a major desaster which can cost you thousands. It's not really worth it to play pennysaver for a couple dollars here...

no-stock bearings and seals etc. are really just a couple of dollars.

Anyway - if your crank blows up you have a major desaster which can cost you thousands. It's not really worth it to play pennysaver for a couple dollars here...

There are 8 seals in my bottom end plus several o-rings and some of those are upwards of $10 each.  That all adds up.  I just priced everything out for crankshaft, bearings, gaskets, and seals:

Hot Rods : $185

OEM : $313

I'm sure the OEM quality is better but the reason people go with hot rods (or wiseco) is because there is a significant price difference - almost 60% less in this case.  Personally, when I rebuilt my YZ450, I went all OEM.  It cost me almost $1500 to do the crankshaft, all bearings, seals, piston, cylinder, etc but the bike is newer and worth more.  On my 97 CR, it's just not worth that much and I did not want to put a ton of money into it so I went with Hot Rods.  If I had read as many horror stories about Hot Rods cranks as I did Wiseco cranks, I may have gone with OEM but from the research I did, the hot rods product was acceptable to me.

There are 8 seals in my bottom end plus several o-rings and some of those are upwards of $10 each.  That all adds up.  I just priced everything out for crankshaft, bearings, gaskets, and seals:

Hot Rods : $185

OEM : $313

I'm sure the OEM quality is better but the reason people go with hot rods (or wiseco) is because there is a significant price difference - almost 60% less in this case.  Personally, when I rebuilt my YZ450, I went all OEM.  It cost me almost $1500 to do the crankshaft, all bearings, seals, piston, cylinder, etc but the bike is newer and worth more.  On my 97 CR, it's just not worth that much and I did not want to put a ton of money into it so I went with Hot Rods.  If I had read as many horror stories about Hot Rods cranks as I did Wiseco cranks, I may have gone with OEM but from the research I did, the hot rods product was acceptable to me.

Exactly man I wasn't really wanting to put that much into it when I don't race. I mean sure OEM is better quality but I just simply didn't want to put that much into it. Like I said I don't race, I ride around with my buddies goofing off and stuff. Do I want to race? Sure. Will I race? Probably not. I just look for the parts I need to get my bike running so I can ride.

$185 doesn't buy a complete Hot Rods bottom end kit. That just buys the crank.

Hot Rods complete bottom end kit for the CR125, CBK0022, retails for $319.

If you buy a 2007 CR125 OEM crank/main bearings/seals/gaskets from Honda East Toledo, the cost is $202 delivered to your door.

I have a 97 - cbk0089

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0068ER3ZM

Cbk0022 is still under $200

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0068EQHX6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1420657058&sr=8-1π=AC_SY200_QL40

Show me the kit from Honda east and I will concede.

Edited to add: I just added all the parts to my cart at honda east for a 2007 and it was $213 (crank, 2 bearings, gasket kit).  I didn't confirm that gasket kit included the seals but I know the OEM kit for my 97 did not.  That is another $25 or $30.  Also, the 2007 crank is much cheaper than the one for my 97 for some reason (by over $50 on the toledo site).  I guess the summary here is - compare the cost and make your own decision.

Edited by nucular