15 RMZ 250 Front Brake drag

Hello all, and Happy New Year!

I got a 2015 rmz250 a while back and have had a lot of fun with it. One thing I noticed about a month ago was that my front wheel doesn't "free-spin" when it sits on a stand. It appears that the front brake is dragging, especially when I compare it to the yz450 that sits next to it, that bikes front wheel spins for days it seems.

Could this be a warped rotor? bent wheel? I can't imagine that I have bent the wheel but I do suppose it's possible. Could it be that I didn't clean my brakes properly after a muddy ride? I usually clean it off really nice but there was one occasion where I crashed pretty good and did not wash my bike for about 2 weeks while I was healing. I worry that the time it sat there all muddy caused the brake pads to rust, causing the drag.

I have yet to try to fix the problem myself but I think I will start with the rotor and see if I can make tightening adjustments just in case it's warped. 

Any ideas fellas and ladies?

Edited by Ctone23

I thought about that. I'm actually ordering a true-ing stand as I type this, so I will let you know if I find anything out. Part of my problem was that I had my bike stored in a shed as I was living in an apartment. I now have a garage with space so I plan on getting dirty and figuring it out. Any help or advice is always appreciated, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Removed the brake pads and the wheel span perfectly. Cleaned off the pads, and re-installed. Bike definitely spins better, but there is still a minimum amount of drag. Trying to decide if that is acceptable or not, or if the front wheel should spin freely with no drag whatsoever. 

Any thoughts? I'd like to go ride early tomorrow so I don't really have time to get the rotor off tonight.

Edited by Ctone23

Removed the brake pads and the wheel span perfectly. Cleaned off the pads, and re-installed. Bike definitely spins better, but there is still a minimum amount of drag. Trying to decide if that is acceptable or not, or if the front wheel should spin freely with no drag whatsoever. 

Any thoughts? I'd like to go ride early tomorrow so I don't really have time to get the rotor off tonight.

I would bleed the brake, put in some Motul brake fluid or the like.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/907/3359/Motul-Brake-Fluid-DOT-5.1?term=motul%20brake%20fluid

Always, used Motul in cylinders on bikes.

After some further fiddling and researching, I was able to fix the problem. 

After a small crash about 2 months ago it appears the caliper pin that holds my front brake pads got knocked out of it's normal position, causing the drag. When I crashed It was an awkward landing on a jump followed by a little too much front brake. 

I was able to apply gentle pressure and push out the brake-pad (spreading them out), then just pump the front brake to get the caliper back into position. After I did this, everything was working buttery smooth again. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...