Input needed on motor build

Picked up a 05 450 in need of a rebuild it looks good but needs a fresh topend I plan on trail ridding no mx racing. I want to make more low mid power not concerned about loosing a little on top just don't really need any more. Hears my thoughts of how I will build the motor any input would be great. Trx450 12-1 3 ring piston, stainless valves all around, either stage one hit cam or 02 450 cam, steel clutch basket and heavy flywheel. It has over sized rads on it I thought it get a fan kit from eBay that runs on its own battery pack. Would those mods make for a good trail bike and witch one of those cams would be best? Thanks alot

they don't need any more low end.. really.. any good billet clutch basket will due for a few hundred hours. (really 🙂 ) I have 479 hrs on my 08crf450, and over 1000 on my 04. Don't waste your money on an oem basket unless you only ride once or twice a month. If that's the case, the oem basket will last you a couple years or more. But to just change to a steel basket for the sake of more fww ? seems kinda silly, if it's not worn now. Go with a 13+ or 17oz flywheel from trail tech and that will be all the extra weight needed to make it more trail/woods friendly and raceable.

you can start with the rekluse exp3.0 for $399, the full core 3.0 is $899. The exp will work fine, if you don't abuse it. You use 5 fibers and 5 steels, not 8, so you have a bit less clutch surface area with the exp, thus be in the right gear most of the time or you can fry it.. i find rotella t (15/40) works great on the trans side .

as long as you keep moving, or shut it off if you sit.. you won't have overheating issues. but a fan kit wouldn't be a bad idea if you are riding some really slow/tight stuff.

Edited by MELK-MAN

What about the 3 ring piston since I'm in there anyways anyone had any success with them. And do they make a way to use a rear hand brake and still keep the foot brake. I was thinking if I get the exp I'd like to keep my clutch and install one of those thumb brake kits that stunters use on there bikes just for the purpose of walking a bike down a place you would normally leave it in gear and drag the rear tire down for some hold back

What about the 3 ring piston since I'm in there anyways anyone had any success with them. And do they make a way to use a rear hand brake and still keep the foot brake. I was thinking if I get the exp I'd like to keep my clutch and install one of those thumb brake kits that stunters use on there bikes just for the purpose of walking a bike down a place you would normally leave it in gear and drag the rear tire down for some hold back

i switched to 08 pistons on the 04 a long time ago.. forgot about that. . Little more compression if i remember reading. but not sure how many rings. I think 2 grooves. 1 comp ring, then the oil ring below with 2 rings separated by the little waffle looking ring.

but i still use only OEM stuff on my bikes for the most part.

go to the rekluse website. they have videos on all their stuff. If you have questions, call and ask for Joe or one of the tech guys there. They are great about tech stuff..

Edited by MELK-MAN

Yes everything I have found on this forum and the crfx forum there is several who has done the trx piston and steel valves with good results and no one could tell a loose of power. Buy the way you can get a pro-x trx piston for 130 and pro-x gasket kit steel valves and heavier springs (needed for the heavier valves) for 225.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261669717533

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271228577386