What do you suggest for riding gear?

I have never worn riding gear except for a good helmet....most of my past riding is local and street.

Untill recently I would not wear a visor, let alone a shield on my bike. (I had a windshield on my truck and snow machine)

Anyways that being said... its time for a little gear. I am most concerned about my knees and shins.

What do you suggest for leg protection without compremising freedom of movement.... (baby steps)

My buddy wears Baseball catchers knee pad/guards.  He looks kind of funny, but they are pretty damn functional, cover a larger area and affordable.  Lots of rocks and some cactus where we ride, so the added length is welcomed.

I need to get gear for this season as well. Just got an Arai XD4 which is a great helmet. I'd like to get a jacket, some pants, and boots. Anything that's comfortable but also protects your elbows and knees (protection built into pants and jacket)?

Get the best you can afford, any armor is better than none.  Make sure your armor stays put, don't want it moving around.

There are those of us who have crashed, and those that will.  You are not exempt from that statistic.

• Like 2

Any advice on inexpensive but good boots? I am NOT paying 300 bucks. Already have street boots and plenty of pairs of work boots, but no pair of MX boots. Do I even need MX boots? How about those "combat touring" style boots?

edit: 400SM mostly street riding, but plan on getting dirt rims and riding on gravel, fire roads, maybe some light trails.

Edited by joey stalin
  • Like 1

Any advice on inexpensive but good boots? I am NOT paying 300 bucks. Already have street boots and plenty of pairs of work boots, but no pair of MX boots. Do I even need MX boots? How about those "combat touring" style boots?

edit: 400SM mostly street riding, but plan on getting dirt rims and riding on gravel, fire roads, maybe some light trails.

Astar Tech 2's work great for the street and occasional dirt jaunts ?

I apperiate the input.....i want light gear that I will acually put on....I have an old lower leg bike injury and recent knee issues that i am trying to protect.

Someone mentioned leg protection intigrated into riding pants....that would be great.

Last summer i put about 1500 miles offroad/backroad...,nothing to technical.

Once again thats for the input and links.

I have never worn riding gear except for a good helmet....most of my past riding is local and street.

Untill recently I would not wear a visor, let alone a shield on my bike. (I had a windshield on my truck and snow machine)

Anyways that being said... its time for a little gear. I am most concerned about my knees and shins.

What do you suggest for leg protection without compremising freedom of movement.... (baby steps)

Depends on how you plan on riding as to what extent of gear I think.... I have different for dirt and street.
  • Like 1

After you've ridden trails for a while you will see and feel the need for a good pair of MX boots .

I used to feel naked without my Chippewa work boots. But now when I wear them for a ride , I know it's not enough. When log pieces fly up and strike you in the shins your going to feel it . Also the day you don't wear your elbow / forearm guards. You'll take a spill and land on a rock right where you'll feel it for a few weeks . You don't have to have the best gear made . I have a friend who is a very experienced rider who's been wearing hockey pads for years . It can mean the difference between being laid up to heal , or going to work the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

• Like 2

After you've ridden trails for a while you will see and feel the need for a good pair of MX boots .

I used to feel naked without my Chippewa work boots. But now when I wear them for a ride , I know it's not enough. When log pieces fly up and strike you in the shins your going to feel it . Also the day you don't wear your elbow / forearm guards. You'll take a spill and land on a rock right where you'll feel it for a few weeks . You don't have to have the best gear made . I have a friend who is a very experienced rider who's been wearing hockey pads for years . It can mean the difference between being laid up to heal , or going to work the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

Your right!
  • Like 1