Modifying a 2009 RMZ450 to reduce weight

I was looking to get some fresh ideas on ways to reduce sprung as well as unsprung weight on my 09 rmz. I am an aerospace machinist and ive been milling around on the idea of knocking some weight off of my bike. Other than the obvious things like footpegs and the ridiculous cost of TI bolts does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

I'd start with wheels and tires..check weights of the competitors but pretty sure Talon is still one of the lightest, not cheap.

Or are you talking about machining parts? That might be a bit harder since most lightweight stuff these days is CF and exotic metals like Ti e/t/c

you can swap out the swing arm pivot bolt with one from an older bike, to save 0.5lbs.  For some reason the one on the 2009 isn't hollowed.

beware, a lot of after market wheels are heavier.

and yes, tires and tubes, remove a lot of the plastic covers that only pack up with mud.

but todd is correct, the heaviest component of any motorcycle is the rider. 🙂

you can swap out the swing arm pivot bolt with one from an older bike, to save 0.5lbs.  For some reason the one on the 2009 isn't hollowed.

beware, a lot of after market wheels are heavier.

and yes, tires and tubes, remove a lot of the plastic covers that only pack up with mud.

but todd is correct, the heaviest component of any motorcycle is the rider. 🙂

Bruce I was only saying it for a laugh wasn't serious. I will say the best mod you can put on a bike that isn't running ill is suspension suited for its rider. The next best is fitness of the rider.

Hahaha yeah I here ya on the rider weight.. I do need to get my butt in the gym anyway.. im 5'11" and weigh 175 to 180.. it varies.. I have shaved the seat. . I took off 2.5 inches of foam and replaced with a lighter softer foam.. yeah I was thinking of machining down what I could without affecting structural integrity.. the zuk just feels a lil heavier in the air than I care for.. ive already revalved and resprung the suspenders leaning more toward the stiff side.. intial stroke is still plush enough for me and I have alot of bottoming resistance.. now if I could make it feel lighter in the air..