carb problems

Hello I'm new to the forum and a new owner of an 08 klx450. So my problem is that my throttle hangs wide open because of the accelerator pump linkage hanging on the end of the throttle cam. My linkage was tied up with copper wire like the O ring mod. I've greased the cam and untied the mod and it's fine but with it tied I have to turn the screw in real far to keep it from hanging. Also this bike has a stock exhaust and airbox mod 48/172 jets and almost no top end. The air screw was only 1/8 of a turn out and the intake valves had .02 lash. I've done the valves and camchain but the main jet seems way big. The plug looked perfect tan.

First of all get rid of the stock muffler at least,header too if you can afford it and this will open the bike up nicely power wise and depending on the header pipe give you unblocked access to the oil filter,this will get you close to the JD jetting specs which uses a 170 or 168 main jet,either leave the acellerator pump un wired or do the actual o-ring mod,the stock intake valves are titanium and once they start moving they will either stay solid or will keep moving(sometimes very quickly) so keep an eye on them and factor in replacement if they keep moving,stainless valves are cheap enough now

Edited by ozglenn

Where are you located? It's not much of a problem here in Australia but maybe where you are it was set up for a certain elevation.

I did rejet mine but used only what I had in the shed until I can afford a new exhaust & JD Kit.

Mine currently has 160 main, stock pilot, clip 3rd from top, screw 2 turns out. It doesn't hang on idle and runs well but It's not as crisp as it could be either.

Ok after first ride with my run through, it's a drastic change. Bike runs way smoother and much more power. Still feels too rich and corked on wot but way better. Before the work the bike started fine but after doing the valves, the intakes were at almost 0 lash it's a whole new beast.

I dont really have much input, I am just interested and wanna subscribe. My bike has a full aftermarket exhaust and air box mod. I was running a 165 main, but recently jumped to 170 to test. I havent tested yet due to subartic temps though. I think im on the fourth clip of the needle, but 3rd is prolly where im gonna end up.