Front fork help!

Ok guys. My fork seals are leaking on my 2001 YZ250F and they need replacing. I've watched a few videos on YouTube and it doesn't seem that hard. So I thought...

My question is how do I separate the top cap from the inner cartridge? I'm using a 17mm wrench on the lower cartridge/rebound rod assembly, and a 3/4 on the top cap. The top cap will loosen to a point from the rebound assembly, maybe 2 turns, then stop unscrewing! All my rebound/compression screws are backed out. I've seen many videos do it exactly how I am doing it without issue.

Anyone have any advice??

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1420576539.526520.jpg

Push it a little harder.

I've tried that but I'm afraid to turn it any harder. I feel like something expensive is going to break. I tried unscrewing from the bottom of the fork at the 14mm hex, and it just spins and will not unscrew either. I'm about to just dump oil back into the forks and put them back on the bike. This is just ridiculous

The bottom is spinning because you need to hold the cartridge to keep it from spinning, or else everything rotates and it'll never come loose.

The top should just spin off if you hold the damper rod lock nut.  It's unclear exactly what is happening.  It's also hard to give advice when a lot of of it would be the "feel" of the cap.  Perhaps take it to someone local who is familiar with working on suspension.

Don't you need to push the spring down some, exposing a nut?? Wrench on the nut, then spin the cap off.

Never mind, I see that you wrote you are using a wrench. If you have w wrench on the nut, and a wrench on the cap you just need to muscle it. Not really anything you can hurt.

Edited by TN Dirt Rider

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. My spare Time was at a premium this week.

Anyways, I FINALLY got the forks apart, it just took a little extra 'oomf' to get the top cap separated from the cartridge/damper assembly. They are now put back together and on the bike. No leaking! At least not yet. Tomorrow's another day I guess.

This was harder than I'd like to admit lol. I'll go back to building engines, since that's something I can do blindfolded 🙂

Thanks for all the replies!