2011 350 SXF Weight ideas

Hi All,

Just bought a used 2011 KTM 350 SXF that I plan to use for hare scrambles.  Bought from a pro class rider who was basically the same size as me, so suspension is already taken care of.  I am comig off of a 2014 250 SX 2 stroke, which is about 20 lbs lighter.

Looking for ideason how to make my SXF as light as possible.  I'm gonna add an aluminum skid plate, so that puts on 3 more lbs (debated going with plastic at 1.5 lbs).  I know I can swap batteries to save 2-3 lbs.

Any ideas on how I can cut some more weight?  I know there is only so much that can be done, but I'm trying to get the same feel from the SXF as I had on the SX.

Thanks

Hi All,

Just bought a used 2011 KTM 350 SXF that I plan to use for hare scrambles. Bought from a pro class rider who was basically the same size as me, so suspension is already taken care of. I am comig off of a 2014 250 SX 2 stroke, which is about 20 lbs lighter.

Looking for ideason how to make my SXF as light as possible. I'm gonna add an aluminum skid plate, so that puts on 3 more lbs (debated going with plastic at 1.5 lbs). I know I can swap batteries to save 2-3 lbs.

Any ideas on how I can cut some more weight? I know there is only so much that can be done, but I'm trying to get the same feel from the SXF as I had on the SX.

Thanks

First things first, are you a pro rider also? If not, you're suspension is far from "taken care of".

That being said I would not have gotten off a 14 250sx for an 11 350. The 11 350 is a fat ass plain and simple and there's hardly anything you can do about it. The 11 350 weighs more than 20 pounds more than a 14 250sx not to mention the rotating mass is great and center of gravity is higher. I had an 11 350sxf, sold it for a yz 250, now I'm back to a 15 350xcf. My advise to you is get you're suspension done and learn to live with what you have

• Like 1

Wow, didn't know I bought such a dog. Everyone I talked to said I'm see a big improvement just going from a 2 stroke to the 4 stroke.

I also thought many of the top GNCC riders rode the 350. Oh well. I guess I could always go back to the SX.

Wow, didn't know I bought such a dog. Everyone I talked to said I'm see a big improvement just going from a 2 stroke to the 4 stroke.

I also thought many of the top GNCC riders rode the 350. Oh well. I guess I could always go back to the SX.

I never said it was a dog. The KTM 350 is an awesome machine, and yeah quite a few pro riders use the bike in Gncc and national Enduro. The 2011 is the first year and that bike had undergone many changes since then. Again nothing wrong with the 11 that all four strokes don't struggle with (weight) and I'm sure if you give it a chance and get used to it you will also love it. My 2015 is the best thing I've ever ridden and I liked my 2011 as well, mine was just tired and problematic Edited by Woodsweapon350

What's your skill level? Unless you're pro you're not going to be able to notice the weight difference much.  I transitioned from a 11' 350XCF to a 15' 300XC and the weight difference wasn't noticeable.  Actually the 2 stroke seemed a bit more difficult to manage initially because I felt it had a more vague feeling in the front end, which makes hitting rocks and logs at medium trail speed a little less confidence inspiring currently.  However I do have a Shorai unit on my 350 and just the stock battery in my 300, as well as lightweight seat foam on the 350, so I guess that closes up the gap slightly by around 5 lbs.

Edited by motonack

What's your skill level? Unless you're pro you're not going to be able to notice the weight difference much.  I transitioned from a 11' 350XCF to a 15' 300XC and the weight difference wasn't noticeable.  Actually the 2 stroke seemed a bit more difficult to manage initially because I felt it had a more vague feeling in the front end, which makes hitting rocks and logs at medium trail speed a little less confidence inspiring currently.  However I do have a Shorai unit on my 350 and just the stock battery in my 300, as well as lightweight seat foam on the 350, so I guess that closes up the gap slightly by around 5 lbs.

I am looking at getting a lightweight seat foam. What brand do you have and how much lighter is it over stock.

I'm a steadily improving c class rider. Only been riding about 2 years. I've been told moving from my 250 sx 2 stroke to this 350 4 stroke will help me out a lot. In the hare scrambles I raced, it seemed the four stroke guys had an easier time of it than I did. The 250 is light, but with all that power on tap and the delivery of a 2 stroke, it was all over the place. Experienced riders have told me, the 4 stroke will help me smooth things out and it will track and turn better.

I am looking at getting a lightweight seat foam. What brand do you have and how much lighter is it over stock.

I've got a Think Technology closed cell seat foam.  I dont have the weights of each, but you can probably find the info here online.  One of the big pluses besides the drastically reduced weight is the fact that closed cell foam doesnt absorb water unlike stock foam.  The closed cell foam basically acts as an impenetrable block that just takes up space.  No more hanging seats up to drip dry after washing.

I'm a steadily improving c class rider. Only been riding about 2 years. I've been told moving from my 250 sx 2 stroke to this 350 4 stroke will help me out a lot. In the hare scrambles I raced, it seemed the four stroke guys had an easier time of it than I did. The 250 is light, but with all that power on tap and the delivery of a 2 stroke, it was all over the place. Experienced riders have told me, the 4 stroke will help me smooth things out and it will track and turn better.

A flywheel weight and a softer powervalve spring would help drastically in smoothing out the power delivery of the 250.  Even a shorty silencer would help move a bit of power to the low end.

Edited by motonack